identification no 120811sn1

Satish Nikam

Aug 12, 2011, 6:41:57 AM8/12/11
to Indiantrees Pics
Dear All,
             Is it Momordica dioica?Taken at Mulshi,Pune in Aug.11.Kindly validate.
    thanks
regards
satish nikam

IMG_6064-r.jpg
IMG_6065-r.jpg
IMG_6066-r.jpg
IMG_6092-r.jpg

Tanay Bose

Aug 12, 2011, 10:15:33 AM8/12/11
to Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
I think you are correct
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

H S

Aug 12, 2011, 10:17:42 AM8/12/11
to Tanay Bose, Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
yes, M. dioica
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 12, 2011, 10:29:17 AM8/12/11
to H S, Tanay Bose, Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
Perhaps either I am confused or you three. Firstly the leaves in M. dioica are deeply lobed and secondly the corolla is deeply divided nearly up to the base.

To me this plant looks like   Cucumis sativus

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

H S

Aug 12, 2011, 10:31:08 AM8/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
male and female plant are different i guess

regards,

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 13, 2011, 6:31:20 AM8/13/11
to H S, Tanay Bose, Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
After going through the thread on M. dioica with uploads by me, Dinesh ji and Balkar ji today, I am feel that above plant is Cucumis sativus. Your comments on this please.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Aug 13, 2011, 9:03:55 AM8/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, H S, Tanay Bose, Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
... yes Gurcharan ji for Cucumis sativus.
Regards.
Dinesh

Balkar Arya

Aug 13, 2011, 12:19:00 PM8/13/11
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, H S, Tanay Bose, Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
May be C sativus but certainly it is not M dioica
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Smilax004

Aug 13, 2011, 1:43:55 PM8/13/11
to Satish Nikam, indiantreepix, tanay bose, H S, Gurcharan Singh, balka...@gmail.com

I too think that this is Cucumis sativus L. of Cucurbitaceae family.

Regards,
Giby

>  IMG_6064-r.jpg
> 47KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_6065-r.jpg
> 85KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_6066-r.jpg
> 52KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_6092-r.jpg
> 40KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

Aug 14, 2011, 1:40:29 AM8/14/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
I have been following this thread from the minute it appeared... I see
many KAKROL plants in rural bengal as we drive by... and sometimes
stop... to look... this did not at first glance look like Kakrol (M
dioica) we see here....
AND I WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE DOUBTING>>>MAKES ME FEEL GOOD THAT my
doubts (although arising out if technical ignorance) were well
founded... See Dr. Gurucharan Singh ji's comments...

This what I have learnt from this thread........

1) Photography and presentation of the question:

For any unknown cucurbitacaee it is important to not just get good
shots of the face of flowers and leaves (front and Back) but measure
the flowers across...
and if possible ( like it was here, since the maker is holding the
flower...) take a profile view of the flower... this is esp so in case
of separate male and female flowers... or plant itself being one or
the other sex... ands so that the length of the flower tube, abd
pedicle etc is visible and be judged...

2) Not to start agreeing with one or two or three well known botanist
(s) ... until an exacting taxonomist studies it...

Curucumis sativus... the ordinary cucumber is miles apart in terms of
fruits' anatomy and medicinal values from Mamordica dioica....
SO we learnt a valuable lesson today...
Thanks Gurucharanji...

Usha di ....
=====

H S

Aug 14, 2011, 5:14:31 AM8/14/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
apologise... may be C. sativus...

regards,