Shrub from Manipur: TQ-Manipur-10

Tabish

Feb 23, 2023, 1:33:35 AM2/23/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Friends,
    Attached are some images of a shrub from Manipur, about 5 feet tall, with tiny white flowers. It looks wild, but could as well be cultivated. Found flowering in February. Any clues to its identity are welcome.
   Best wishes
   Tabish
TQ-Manipur10-13.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-08.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-09.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-02.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-03.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-06.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-11.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-04.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-12.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-05.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-01.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-07.jpeg
TQ-Manipur10-10.jpeg

Nidhan Singh

Feb 23, 2023, 1:36:27 AM2/23/23
to indiantreepix
I think it should be Maesa indica..

Tabish

Feb 23, 2023, 1:40:03 AM2/23/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nidhan ji for the lightning fast response! I think you are right!
   Cheers!
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 12:06 PM Nidhan Singh <nidhans...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it should be Maesa indica..

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 23, 2023, 1:42:13 AM2/23/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Nidhan Singh, J.M. Garg, Tabish
Agree with Nidhan sir !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 12:21 PM Nidhan Singh <nidhans...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it should be Maesa indica..

Tabish

Feb 23, 2023, 1:52:27 AM2/23/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh
Just noticed that there is a species Maesa manipurensis Mez - guess we should compare with that too, as it appears to be native to Manipur.
   Tabish

J.M. Garg

Feb 23, 2023, 2:32:15 AM2/23/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Tabish
Here are the keys from Flora of China. Pl. check:
26 (24)Calyx lobe and bracteoles obtuse to rounded apically; inflorescence rachis and pedicels densely and minutely glandular granulose 26 Maesa indica
+Calyx lobe and bracteoles acute apically; inflorescence rachis and pedicels glabrous. (27)

27 (26)Leaf blade membranous, elliptic to ovate, margin serrate, teeth not callose; inflorescences 7-10 cm, racemose 27 Maesa tenera
+Leaf blade papery, oblong to oblanceolate, margin serrate-dentate, teeth callose; inflorescences 1.5-4 cm, paniculate. (28)

28 (27)Branchlets with hollow pith; leaf base subrounded or obtuse; bracteole and calyx lobe margins glandular ciliate; fruit ovoid 28 Maesa manipurensis

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CALTV20cBXyzaO7tQQtBd%3Dj8y4sFfKn6UAgvDaRtBsDnMsYkw_g%40mail.gmail.com.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tabish

Feb 23, 2023, 2:39:31 AM2/23/23
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh
Thank you Garg ji for the key. Will try to verify some features in the plant.
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

Tabish

Feb 23, 2023, 11:41:16 AM2/23/23
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh
I am attaching some diagnostic pics. Looking at them, I think they agree with the following characteristics of Maesa manipurensis:
 1. Inflorescences axillary and terminal, paniculate (not racemose), 2-4 cm, glabrous
 2. base subrounded or obtuse, margin coarsely serrate or serrate-denticulate with punctate and callose teeth...
 3. Branchlets... pith hollow.
   I would be happy to have people's opinion on it.
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 1:02 PM J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Maesa inflorescence.jpg
Maesa branchlet1.jpg
Maesa Leaf1.jpg
Maesa Leaf2.jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 23, 2023, 11:03:32 PM2/23/23
to Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh
Thanks, Tabish ji.
Further detailed description of both species may be gone through.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Feb 26, 2023, 6:09:51 AM2/26/23
to Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh
Yes, I agree with you.
Calyx lobe and bracteoles are also acute apically.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg