Tree for Id 221108JM

J.M. Garg

Nov 22, 2008, 7:11:50 AM11/22/08
to indiantreepix
On 2/11/08 at Bot. Gardens in Hyderabad, AP. A smallish tree.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

dried fruit in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_1452.jpg
fruit in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_1457.jpg
with fruits in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_1453.jpg
with fruits in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_1456.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Nov 22, 2008, 8:07:01 AM11/22/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
It looks like Bixa sp.

Pankaj Oudhia

Barry Stock

Nov 22, 2008, 8:07:07 AM11/22/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
It's Bixa orellana, the "lipstick tree", Bixaceae.

-bs

Neil Soares

Nov 22, 2008, 8:08:00 AM11/22/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mr.Garg,
   It is the Annotta Tree [Bixa orellana], a native of Tropical America.
                    Regards,
                      Neil.

J.M. Garg

Nov 22, 2008, 10:34:09 AM11/22/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Madhuri ji, Barry ji, Pankaj ji & Neil ji.
Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achiote

Achiote (Bixa orellana) is a shrub or small tree from the tropical region of the American continent. The name derives from the Nahuatl word for the shrub, achiotl. It is also known as Aploppas, and its original Tupi name urucu. It is cultivated there and in Southeast Asia, where it was introduced by the Spanish in the 17th century. It is best known as the source of the natural pigment annatto, produced from the fruit. The plant bears pink flowers and bright red spiny fruits which contain red seeds. The fruits dry and harden to brown capsules.

The inedible fruit is harvested for its seeds, which contain annatto, also called bixin. It can be extracted by stirring the seeds in water. It is used to color food products, such as cheeses, fish, and salad oil. Sold as a paste or powder for culinary use, mainly as a color, it is known as "achiote," "annatto" or "pimentão doce." It is a main ingredient in the Mexican spice mixture recado rojo, or "achiote paste." The seeds are ground and used as a subtly flavored and colorful additive in Latin American, Jamaican and Filipino cuisine. Annatto is growing in popularity as a natural alternative to synthetic food coloring compounds. It is an important ingredient of cochinita pibil, the spicy pork dish made famous in the film Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

  • The achiote has long been used by American Indians to make body paint, especially for the lips, which is the origin of the plant's nickname, lipstick tree. The use of the dye in the hair by men of the Tsáchila of Ecuador is the origin of their usual Spanish name, the Colorados.
  • The sap from fruits is also used to treat type 2 diabetes, and fungal infections.

satish phadke

Nov 27, 2008, 9:35:31 AM11/27/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Nice photos of full tree and other features.
I have illustrated this plant in my blog at
http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/2008/04/bixaceae.html
Satish

2008/11/22 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

--