Request for ID

shobha chavda

Feb 24, 2010, 5:32:24 AM2/24/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Posting a photograph of these orange infloresence from Peradeniya Botanical Garden.

Request for ID – 240210SC2 -

Date / Time – 17th Jan. 2010 / 10.15am

Location –  – Peradeniya in central province of Sri Lanka . On the road connecting Colombo and Kandy

Habitat  – Botanical Garden
 Thanx,
shobha

Copy of Sri Lanka 167.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 24, 2010, 5:47:18 AM2/24/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix
... looks like the scarlet sage ... Salvia splendens
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 24, 2010, 8:37:47 AM2/24/10
to Dinesh Valke, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Yes Dinesh ji, it is Salvia splendens

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

shobha chavda

Mar 1, 2010, 7:12:42 AM3/1/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Posting a picture of a plant . Please help me in identifying.

Request for ID –  01032010SC1

Date / Time – 17 th Jan. 2010 / 2.46 pm

Location – Place /Altitude / GPS –  Near Ramboda Falls,Sri Lanka.About 1000m.above sea-level

Habitat – Garden/ Urban/ Wild / Type – Garden

Plant Habit – Tree/Shrub / Climber /Herb – Shrub

Height /Length – About 4-5 ft.

Leaves Type / Shape / Size – Linear-lanceolate.Narrow at both the ends.

Inflorescence Type /Size –

Flowers Size /Colour /Calyx /Bracts –

Fruits Type /Shape /Size / Seeds – Is it a fruit?

Other Information like Fragrance,Pollinator,Uses etc - It looked like a softish fruit and although it looked thorny,the feel was not hard.

Regards,
Shobha

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 1, 2010, 7:18:49 AM3/1/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Shobha ji
Forgot to upload picture?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

shobha chavda

Mar 1, 2010, 7:26:54 AM3/1/10
to indiantreepix
DearcFriends,
Sorry ,I forgot to attach the file for Id. in the last post. Sending it again. Please help me in identifying.

Request for ID –  01032010SC1

Date / Time – 17 th Jan. 2010 / 2.46 pm

Location – Place /Altitude / GPS –  Near Ramboda Falls,Sri Lanka.About 1000m.above sea-level

Habitat – Garden/ Urban/ Wild / Type – Garden

Plant Habit – Tree/Shrub / Climber /Herb – Shrub

Height /Length – About 4-5 ft.

Leaves Type / Shape / Size – Linear-lanceolate.Narrow at both the ends.

Inflorescence Type /Size –

Flowers Size /Colour /Calyx /Bracts –

Fruits Type /Shape /Size / Seeds – Very soft  and hollow fruit. The thorny thing on the surface was not hard. Seeds inside the fruit were tiny, brownish in colour -about 2 mm in length.

Other Information like Fragrance,Pollinator,Uses etc -

Regards,

Shobha
Copy of Sri Lanka 244.jpg

shobha chavda

Mar 1, 2010, 7:45:59 AM3/1/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Posting one more picture from Sri Lanka for ID.Please help.

Request for ID –  01032010SC3

Date / Time – 17 th Jan. 2010 / 2.57 pm

Location – Place /Altitude / GPS –  Near Ramboda Falls,Sri Lanka.About 1000m.above sea-level

Habitat – Garden/ Urban/ Wild / Type – Garden

Plant Habit – Tree/Shrub / Climber /Herb – Shrub

Height /Length – About 4 ft.

Leaves Type / Shape / Size – Linear-lanceolate.

Inflorescence Type /Size –

Flowers Size /Colour /Calyx – petals lavander.

Fruits Type /Shape /Size / Seeds –

Other Information like Fragrance,Pollinator,Uses etc – The inner portion of flower shape reminded me of  Martynia annua,(although I know its not Martynia – I m describing only inner shape and colour which somewhat matches with Martynia)

Regards,

Shobha
Copy of Sri Lanka 252.jpg

TANAY BOSE

Mar 1, 2010, 8:58:53 AM3/1/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Shobha ji,
this plant is ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Common name: Bamboo Orchid, Bird Orchid
Botanical name: Arundina graminifolia Family: Orchidaceae (Orchid
family)
Synonyms: Arundina bambusifolia, Bletia graminifolia, Arundina
speciosa

Bamboo orchid is a terrestrial orchid with reedy stems, forming large
clumps growing to a height of 70 cm to 2 m. The plaited linear leaves
are oblong lanceolate, with a length of 9-19 cm and a width of 0.8-1.5
cm. The apex is acuminate. There are sheaths clasping the stem. The
species name graminifolia grass-leaved. This orchid blooms in summer
and autumn, showing rather open clusters of showy terminal flowers,
ten at the most. They bloom in succession on the terminal racemes,
which are 7-16 cm long. These flowers, 5–8 cm in diameter, are a rosy
lilac and white disk with a purple lip. The bracts are wide triangular
and surround the main stalk of the flower cluster.

I HOPE ITS CORRECT..........

REGARDS,
TANAY