Sall trees becomes useless after 40 yrs of age.

kaysat tiwari

Feb 7, 2009, 11:50:54 AM2/7/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
May I take this opportunity to put few lines from Down To earth magazine issue 1-15 feb. 2009 page 51 " Sunil Bakshi, director of the forest department's human resources centre at Chhindwada and a botanist by traing, said a sal tree lives for over 100 years but after it reaches the girth of 120 cm(35-40 yrs), its heartwood grows hollow, bringing down its timber value.
Is it true??
I am told that 3 to 4 hundred yrs old sal trees were cut for railway sleepers by britishers from today's Kanha National Park.
May I request the experts like Swamy Ji, Pankaj ji and others to coment on this.
I have a ten year old sappling in my garden and it is not even an inch thick stem.
Regards.
Satyendra

--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader