[efloraofindia:34148] Terminalia-another confusion T. catappa???

Gurcharan Singh

May 6, 2010, 6:22:45 AM5/6/10
to efloraofindia
These fruits appeared larger with obscure wings, observed only on enlarging and surface covered with glandular dots. This is tentatively T. catappa for me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Terminalia-catappa-Delhi-1.jpg
Terminalia-catappa-Delhi-2.jpg
Terminalia-catappa-Delhi-3.jpg

Neil Soares

May 6, 2010, 6:39:47 AM5/6/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Hi Prof. Singh,
    This looks like Hirda [Terminalia chebulia].
                     Regards,
                       Neil.

Gurcharan Singh

May 6, 2010, 6:45:03 AM5/6/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Neil ji
I think fruits of T. chebula have distinct ridges. I could not catch it in flower but have fruits, kindly compare, I am uploading them separately.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

May 6, 2010, 6:52:26 AM5/6/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Hi Prof.Singh,
  Sending you my photographs of T.chubelia for comparison.
Hirda flowers.jpg
Hirda fruit.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

May 6, 2010, 6:54:58 AM5/6/10
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia

Neil Soares

May 6, 2010, 7:02:46 AM5/6/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Hi Prof. Singh,
    Some more photographs of the flowers of T.chebulia . [Just for the record - T.catappa {The Indian Almond / Badam} is an exotic - a native of Malayasia].
                    Regards,
                      Neil.

--- On Thu, 5/6/10, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Terminalia chebulia,Hirda flowers 1.jpg
Terminalia chebulia,Hirda flowers 2.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

May 6, 2010, 7:07:11 AM5/6/10
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Terminalia catappa in Mysore

http://www.pankajoudhia.com/biod/bioset16.pdf

Pankaj Oudhia

Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman

May 6, 2010, 7:20:39 AM5/6/10
to efloraofindia

Dear Guru ji...am sure it is T.chebula itself...the ridges become more
prominent after drying only....

T.catappa could be very easily differentiated from T.chebula. . . .In
T. catappa the glands at the base will not be stalked...In T.chebula i
would be stalked and also the leaves in T.catappa are totally
different in size and shape...if needed i would post them in detail

Thank You
Dr Hari

R. Vijayasankar

May 6, 2010, 10:47:17 AM5/6/10
to Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji, this is again Terminalia chebula only. It is a highly variable plant in terms of size and shape of fruits.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

May 6, 2010, 10:59:09 AM5/6/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
Dear members
Thanks for removing another confusion of mine. I think I have now sorted my specimens of Terminalia. Since what I thought as T. tomentosa (extended wings, broader fruit, longer leaves and inflorescence) turned out finally as T. cuneata (T. arjuna), and Trees of Delhi (Pradip Kishen) not including T. tomentosa/crenulata/elliptica, I am tempted to conclude that after all it may not be growing in Delhi, and its report in Flora of Delhi may be in error. May be members from NCR, Haryana, Punjab and other surrounding areas throw some light on this.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Chile

May 7, 2010, 3:52:50 AM5/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, R. Vijayasankar, Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
This is Terminalia chebula for sure.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile