Campsis grandiflora from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 27, 2010, 10:32:52 PM7/27/10
to efloraofindia
Campsis grandiflora from Kashmir, this graceful climber is characterised by orange-red large flowers, about 5 cm long corolla tube. Photographed from Balgarden, Srinagar on 16 June 2010.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Campsis-grandiflora-Kashmir-a.jpg
Campsis-grandiflora-Kashmir-b.jpg
Campsis-grandiflora-Kashmir-c.jpg
Campsis-grandiflora-Kashmir-d.jpg
Campsis-grandiflora-Kashmir-e.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 27, 2010, 11:43:32 PM7/27/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nice catch of the plant we had one in our college we used to perform anatomy practicals on this plant to study secondary growth .
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 22, 2010, 6:11:30 PM10/22/10
to tanay bose, Flowers of India, Tabish, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
This Campsis I was satisfied to identify with C. grandiflora but few important features I was not able to reconcile: C. grandiflora (in all standard treatments) is supposed to have 7-9 leaflets, calyx with lobes reaching almost middle of the tube, broader corolla limb, and corolla tube only slightly longer than calyx. This can be verified from these two links:

In my specimens above, as well those from Delhi the leaflet number ranges from 7-11,  the calyx lobes are parted up to middle, and the corolla tube is almost 2-2.5 times the length of calyx.

A survey of the literature on the web indicates that majority of specimens on the web and those sold under the name of C. radicans or C. grandiflora actually belong to their hybrid Campsis x tagliabuana, and I believe that above specimens belong to this hybrid species. This hybrid species in much more common in cultivation than either parents and the most common cultivar is known as Campsis x tagliabuana cv. Madam Galen, and my plant may in fact be belonging to that.
    The same may also be true for The specimens depicted on FOI under the name C. grandiflora. 11 leaflets can be seen at least in one leaf.

Your comments are requested on this.