Phytolacca acinosa? from Ritterhude

nabha meghani

Aug 18, 2010, 6:51:15 AM8/18/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh-sify
These fotos were taken in July 2010 on a park area near our house.
The flower looks similar to the ones Prof. Singh ji, in your Fotos but I feel, the leaves are different. I shall go there again, when berries are there and take more fotos.

Phytolacca is Kermesbeeren in german

Regards
Nalini
100_7426.JPG
100_7427.JPG
100_7428.JPG
100_7419.JPG
100_7421.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 18, 2010, 7:47:30 AM8/18/10
to nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Nalini ji
Your plant also seems to be P. acinosa, a species distinct from most others in free carpels. In other species they are partly or wholly connate. Agreed, as per your observation, your plant looks different in much broader leaves and fewer flowers in the inflorescence. Perhaps this observation Will find satisfaction in the fact that Flora of Pakistan considers Indian Plant to be a distinct species P. latbenia Walters with dense inflorescence and narrower leaves (not broader than 10 cm). At the same time most recent Floras including Flowers of Himalaya (1984), Enumeration of Flowering Plants of Nepal (1978-84) and more recent Flora of China include it under P. acimosa.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Aug 18, 2010, 10:35:14 AM8/18/10
to Gurcharan Singh, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Phytolacca acinosa indeeed but there are some difference in the leaf size I hope !!
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant