Fragaria nubicola in Srinagar

taffa...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2022, 3:00:41 AM10/31/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear members,
I am posting some photos of Fragaria growing wild in a field in Srinagar. As Gurcharan Ji has pointed out in another thread (Sept,6 ,2015) that Fragaria vesca does not occur in India I take it to be Fragaria nubicola. I found the taste of the berries to be rather insipid. The Pahari people call it "Buddha Phal" meaning fruit fit for old persons. It is also reported to be of medicinal importance.
Regards
taffazull
Fragaria runner and fruit.JPG
Fragaria runner and fruit2.JPG
Fragariaplant1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Oct 31, 2022, 5:41:10 AM10/31/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, TAFA
Not sure with these images.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2022, 5:59:41 AM10/31/22
to eFloraofIndia
Respected Garg ji,
I had seen this link but on this page the link https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/indiantreepix/TtX7hBZmAIg is given and following that link I read the comments of Gurcharan Singh ji copy pasted below. :

"Gurcharan Singh
Sep 6, 2015, 5:49:33 PM
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
With Indian F. vesca having mostly been identified as F. nubicola, I don't think F. vesca occurs Himalayas. Not listed even in Himalyan List"

Hence I too called it F.nubicola.
I have very little knowledge of taxonomy myself.
I would be grateful  for any corrections and clarifications
Sincere regards

J.M. Garg

Oct 31, 2022, 6:07:53 AM10/31/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Flowering images will help.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2022, 6:12:17 AM10/31/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Garg ji,
I could not find any flowers as perhaps it is late October.
There were just the two or three berries on this plant.
Regards
taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2022, 12:08:26 AM11/10/22
to eFloraofIndia
The key to Fragaria nubicola on Fragaria nubicola  thread of efi is as below:

"As per efi thread:
Appressed calyx lobes (almost touching fruit) are distinctive for F. nubicola (Stems and petioles are also appressed hairy)

In F. vesca they are spreading as also stems and petioles are with spreading hairy"

I am posting a photo of a berry of the above plant showing appressed calyx lobes touching fruit. This and Gurcharan Singh ji's remarks that F.vesca does not occur in India  would support my ID of the plant as F.nubicola.

In view of its medicinal importance its cultivation and further research on its medicinal properties may be in order especially as the IIIM(Institute of Integrative Medicine) formerly RRL is barely a Km away from the field where it was growing wild.

Regards

Taffazull

F.nubicola calyx touching berry.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 10, 2022, 8:03:10 PM11/10/22
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazul ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2022, 3:29:54 AM11/15/22
to eFloraofIndia
Am attaching two more photos of unripe fruits of F.nubicola. They are very difficult to see among the foliage but ripen very fast. I have myself seen  a plant which I thought was devoid of berries bear several red berries the next day !
Regards
taffazull

unripefruitF.nubicola2.JPG
unripefruitF.nubicola1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 15, 2022, 9:14:31 AM11/15/22
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazul ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2023, 12:55:00 AM4/4/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Garg Ji,
Finally found flowers and certainly my ID was wrong.
I think it should be Potentilla sp (Potentilla indica?)
Am reposting the photos of fruits in the thread "Is it Potentilla indica?"
Shows the pitfalls of trying to ID without flowers.
Regards
Taffazull

J.M. Garg

Apr 4, 2023, 1:36:45 AM4/4/23
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazull ji,
Where are the flowering images?

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2023, 8:02:52 PM4/4/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Gàrg ji,
The flowering images and other details are in the new post " Is it Potentilla indica?"
Regards
Taffazull

J.M. Garg

Apr 5, 2023, 1:04:45 AM4/5/23