(110509SCS1-2) ID request - a creeper 'palak'

Suresh C. Sharma

May 11, 2009, 11:25:29 AM5/11/09
to indiantreepix
Several years ago, I had this creeper in my home garden and Sadhna used to make 'paramthas' stuffed with its leaves.

On 10th May, while florawatching, I saw this 'creeping palak' in a village. Planted by the owners.

Can someone tell me its botanical name please ?

Sonepat, 10th May 09.

Regards,
Suresh C. Sharma
Picture-041.jpg
Picture-042.jpg

Tabish

May 11, 2009, 12:12:31 PM5/11/09
to indiantreepix
Malabar Spinach (Basella alba)
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week445.shtml
If my answer is right, I demand a taste of those paraanthas! ;-)
Cheers!
- Tabish
>  Picture-041.jpg
> 218KViewDownload
>
>  Picture-042.jpg
> 200KViewDownload

ranjini kamath

May 11, 2009, 11:33:04 PM5/11/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Hi This is a favourite green of Mangaloreans-called Vaallli in
Konkani.I was wondering about the common name in English & now i have
the Bot.ID too as a bonus! Thank you Tabish ji:)
As an aside- the berries attract birds- so- great vine to grow for
bird-lovers too!

purnim...@priyaentertainments.com

May 11, 2009, 11:41:43 PM5/11/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for identifying this plant as an attraction for the birds.It
is also an added bonus for those interested in birding !

Purnima

Tabish

May 12, 2009, 1:17:17 AM5/12/09
to indiantreepix
More names from http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Malabar%20Spinach.html
Hindi: Poi पोई • Manipuri: Urok Shumban • Tamil: Vasalakkirai •
Kannada: Bansali • Marathi: Velbendi • Gujarati: Valchi Bhagi •
Malayalam: Vasalaccira • Sanskrit: Upodika • Bengali: Pui Shaak
- Tabish

On May 12, 8:41 am, purnima.du...@priyaentertainments.com wrote:
> Thank you for identifying this plant as an attraction for the birds.It
> is also an added bonus for those interested in birding !
>
> Purnima
>
> Quoting ranjini kamath <ranjin...@gmail.com>:
>

> > Hi   This is a favourite green of Mangaloreans-called Vaallli in
> > Konkani.I was wondering about the common name in English & now i have
> > the Bot.ID too as a bonus! Thank you Tabish ji:)
> > As an aside- the berries attract birds- so- great vine to grow for
> > bird-lovers too!

Rohit Patel

May 12, 2009, 2:41:15 AM5/12/09
to indiantreepix
hello Dear all

i am requesting to you all, please  write a name of plant species in Italic with authority, b'coz may be useful for initiater in plant taxonomy field . and researcher for their referance .

have a great Day

--
ROHITKUMAR M.PATEL
Junior Research  Fellow

Dinesh Valke

May 12, 2009, 3:00:43 AM5/12/09
to Rohit Patel, indiantreepix
OK, Rohit ... slightly scary, but I will attempt to do that ... BUT please do educate in layman's fashion, if I go wrong in its, if any, syntax.
After all, putting authority in any wrong manner, may be absolutely an embarrassment.
Regards.

Tabish

May 12, 2009, 3:35:17 AM5/12/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Rohit,
First of all, email is a text medium. We generally do not use
italics, bold etc.
Secondly, the identifications coming here are mostly from non-
botanists. So, putting the authority with botanical names maybe like
non-technical people pretending to be technical. As Dinesh points out,
it might frequently end up on embarassments.
Best wishes
- Tabish
> E-mail (2):-rohitpatel_...@yahoo.com
> Mo.:- 09724337687

Madhuri Pejaver

May 12, 2009, 4:06:49 AM5/12/09
to indiantreepix, Suresh C. Sharma

in marathi called as Mayalu.
ITS PAKODAS ARE ALSO TASTY.
It bears black berry like fruits which are also tasty.
it has some medicinal value against daibetis??????
madhuri

> creeper in my home garden and Sadhna used to make
> 'paramthas' stuffed with its leaves.
>
> On 10th May, while florawatching, I saw this
> 'creeping palak' in a village. Planted by the
> owners.
>
> Can someone tell me its botanical name please ?
>
> Sonepat, 10th May 09.
>
> Regards,
> Suresh C. Sharma

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter http://beta.cricket.yahoo.com

Sushmita Jha

May 12, 2009, 4:33:05 AM5/12/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix
Suresh-ji,
thank you for generating this query. Pui shaag is a favourite amongst Bengalis (specially yummy cooked with hilsa head!) and is grown in almost every aangan (including my terrace garden!). Indulgent Bengali mothers believe that this cools the heads of their brats! Its a Chinese favourite too (Saan Choy) and indeed I have seen many grow them in pots in China, Singapore, etc. They do a wonderful stir fry with its stems.And in my wanderings through Vietnam found this their favourite too - served with great elan in roadside as well as posh restaurants.
But I have never had paranthas made with it - so could you please make Tabish's order as two portions!

Apologies, if I have turned this into a culinary site.
Regards,
Sushmita Jha

Suresh C. Sharma

May 12, 2009, 10:18:11 AM5/12/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Thank you Sushmita ji,

All of you are most welcome. I will plant one in my home garden also.

No apologies, we are 'birds of the same feathers' and informal talks produce lot of happiness for all to consume.

Best,
Suresh C Sharma