Trees of Lalbagh, Bangalore - Carallia brachiata - Freshwater Mangrove Tree

raman

Dec 12, 2011, 12:13:15 AM12/12/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Freshwater Mangrove is a tree growing up to 10 m tall. Branches are brown, corky. Stipules are 1-2.5 cm. Leaves carried on 1 cm long stalks are elliptic-obovate, oblanceolate, or rarely circular, 5-15 x 2-10 cm, papery to thinly leathery. Leaf base is wedge-shaped, margin entire or toothed, tip pointed or shortly tapering. Inflorescences are 1-6 cm, often resinous, usually shining from secreted resin. Flowers are short-stalked or stalkless. Bracteoles are 2 or 3, partially fused into a cup. Sepals are 6 or 7, triangular, 3-4 mm. Petals are white, nearly round, 1.5 mm in diameter, notched at the tip and unevenly lacerate. Stamens are about 2 mm. Ovary is bulbous, 2 mm; style 2 mm; stigma discoid, apically 4-8-lobed. Fruit is glossy pink to red round, 5 mm in diameter. Seeds are kidney-shaped.

Raman
Freshwater Mangrove Tree - 0000.jpg
Freshwater Mangrove Tree - 0001.jpg
Freshwater Mangrove Tree - Canopy.jpg
Freshwater Mangrove Tree - Flower.jpg
Freshwater Mangrove Tree - Leaf.jpg
Freshwater Mangrove Tree - Tender Leaf.jpg

Rathinasabapathy Bhuvaragasamy

Dec 12, 2011, 12:19:23 AM12/12/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Good set of photos. I have noticed the flowering of this sp. few days back at the NBNP Arboretum.

--
B. Rathinasabapathy
Project Co-ordinator

Satish Phadke

Dec 12, 2011, 10:04:25 AM12/12/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Good set of photos
Family : Rhizophoraceae

[...]

Dr Satish Phadke

Dinesh Valke

Nov 13, 2012, 11:19:16 AM11/13/12
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Would like to validate the name of this plant in Kannada

ಅಂದಿಪುನಾರ್ andipunar

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Nov 16, 2012, 2:04:11 PM11/16/12
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Dear Tamil-knowing friends,
Would like to validate the name karalli in Tamil for this plant.

Which of these would be the correct spelling for karalli:
கரல்லி OR கறல்லி OR காரல்லி OR காறல்லி ?

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Nov 16, 2012, 3:06:08 PM11/16/12
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick
Dinesh ji,

'karalli' is a Telugu name, as per FRLHT database.
The script for Tamil name 'Andimiriam' (not familiar to me!) may be அந்திமிரியம்.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Nov 16, 2012, 11:28:45 PM11/16/12
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick
Many many thanks Vijayasankar ji for the clarity.
Me too thought so - karalli is a Telugu name given to Carallia lucida; and the genus name Carallia is derived from it ... Paxton's Botanical Dictionary.

Perhaps, due to proximity of regions, adjoining population of Tamil may have borrowed the Telugu name - I am referring to mention of karalli as Tamil name for Carallia integerrima ... http://envis.frlht.org/plant_details.php?disp_id=2327&parname=2326 ... unless put in error.

My query arose because none of கரல்லி / கறல்லி / காரல்லி / காறல்லி are found in Tamil dictionaries or any web page on internet.
I am considering to drop this karalli as a name in Tamil for C. brachiata.

One observation: The Useful Plants of India (NISCAIR) has not put any name in Tamil for C. brachiata.

ஆண்டிமிரம் (antimiram) is found at Biotik ... http://www.biotik.org/india/species/c/carabrac/carabrac_ta.html
Seems ambiguous because only Biotik and FRLHT mentions it ... perhaps it is based on names in neighbouring languages, and relatively recent coined word.

I will take அந்திமிரியம் as a better form of ஆண்டிமிரம்.

Many thanks once again.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Nov 17, 2012, 11:13:35 AM11/17/12
to efloraofindia
Dear Telugu-knowing friends,

karalli is a Telugu name given to Carallia lucida; and the genus name Carallia is derived from it ... Paxton's Botanical Dictionary.

Would someone help me by providing the name in native script.
I tried all of these:
కరల్లి / కారల్లి / కరాల్లి / కారాల్లి / కరళ్లి / కారళ్లి / కరాళ్లి / కారాళ్లి ... surprisingly not one of these discussed on the internet.
Totally stumped !

Another name put for C. brachiata is gijuru chettu ... ¿ గిజరు ? చెట్టు ... hope this name helps to get to karalli.
Reference: http://envis.frlht.org/plant_details.php?disp_id=2326&parname=0

Regards.
Dinesh

jmgarg1

Nov 25, 2012, 1:54:46 AM11/25/12
to efloraofindia, drknre...@gmail.com, gras...@gmail.com, chand...@gmail.com, chitra...@gmail.com, alali...@gmail.com, kobi...@gmail.com, mohan...@gmail.com, siva...@gmail.com, twitc...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2000 members & 1,37,000 messages on 31/10/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).