ID: 280611SS-1- Please confirm ID for Cymbidium bicolor

Sathyanarayana Srinivasan

Jun 27, 2011, 11:18:54 PM6/27/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Date/Time-18/6/2011

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-  Maredumilli, East Godavari district, Andhra Pradesh

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Wild, moist deciduous forests in Eastern Ghats

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Epiphyte

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- long, strap-shaped

Inflorescence Type/ Size- as seen in the photos

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- Cream edges, maroon center

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds

Occurance- second most common orchid here, only next to Acampe praemorsa

Regards,

Sathya

IMG_3922.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jun 28, 2011, 5:43:49 AM6/28/11
to efloraofindia
Yes this looks to me like Cymbidium bicolor.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Pankaj

On Jun 28, 8:18 am, Sathyanarayana Srinivasan <satya.sri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  IMG_3922.jpg
> 111KViewDownload

H S

Jun 30, 2011, 6:06:45 AM6/30/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji just a question, Why not Cymbidium aloifolium?

regards,

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone

Pankaj Kumar

Jun 30, 2011, 8:47:20 AM6/30/11
to H S, efloraofindia
Cymbidium aloifolium has dark band on the petals and sepal which is
absent In bicolor.
Regards
PANKAJ

On Thursday, June 30, 2011, H S wrote:
> Pankaj ji just a question, Why not Cymbidium aloifolium?
>
> regards,
>

> On 6/28/11, Dr  Pankaj Kumar wrote:
>> Yes this looks to me like Cymbidium bicolor.
>> Thanks for sharing.
>> Regards
>> Pankaj
>>

>> On Jun 28, 8:18 am, Sathyanarayana Srinivasan

>> wrote:
>>> Date/Time-18/6/2011
>>>
>>> Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-  Maredumilli, East Godavari district,
>>> Andhra
>>> Pradesh
>>>
>>> Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Wild, moist deciduous forests in
>>> Eastern
>>> Ghats
>>>
>>> Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Epiphyte
>>>
>>> Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- long, strap-shaped
>>>
>>> Inflorescence Type/ Size- as seen in the photos
>>>
>>> Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- Cream edges, maroon center
>>>
>>> Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds
>>>
>>> Occurance- second most common orchid here, only next to Acampe praemorsa
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Sathya
>>>
>>>  IMG_3922.jpg
>>> 111KViewDownload
>

> --
>  - H.S.
>
> A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
> stone

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

H S

Jul 2, 2011, 1:52:39 AM7/2/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Even these photo shows band?
please help in id, i am confused with both species

regards,

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 2, 2011, 2:37:14 AM7/2/11
to H S, efloraofindia
There has been lot of confusion on this. But the original description
of Cymbidium is based on a sketch in Hortus Malabaricus which has dark
bands but somehow it got mixed up with C. bicolor.
Now it is believed that C. bicolor is without prominent bands and C.
aloifolium is with bands. I dont have good picture of C. aloifolium
but attaching on of my bicolor and two pics from internet.
Hope this helps. First one is bicolor.
Pankaj
Slide17.JPG
C ALOIFOLIUM.jpg
C BICOLOR 001.gif

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 2, 2011, 5:12:22 AM7/2/11
to H S, efloraofindia
There is no confusion, if you add these with foliar and fruit
characters. Moreoever second and third pic are very distinct.
Pankaj

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM, H S <hems...@gmail.com> wrote:
> even these are confusing!!!
>
> regards,