Hedge plant 2

sibdas ghosh

Feb 23, 2009, 11:51:40 AM2/23/09
to indiantreepix
Sending pics of another hedge plant, possibly one Euphorbia sp.Photo
taken at Taki, a locality i in N 24 Pgs, on the bank of river
Ichhamati, 20th Feb. 09
100_0966.jpg
100_0967.jpg

Yazdy Palia

Feb 23, 2009, 1:02:55 PM2/23/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Hi Folks,
I do not know the name of this hedge plant, however, I know for sure
that it is a very useful hedge plant. Nobody would try to trespass
into a property that has this as a hedge. It has a sap that is white
in colour and that coagulates fast. I fraction of a drop of the sap if
it enters anybody's eye, would cause so much pain that people would
think twice before tampering with the plant. Even trimming the hedge
is a hazardous job.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 23, 2009, 10:17:31 PM2/23/09
to Yazdy Palia, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
... to me looks like Euphorbiaceae » Synadenium grantii, commonly known as: African milk bush, in Marathi: शेर sher

Yazdi ji has put it right; the sap is known to be dangerous to humans and animals.

Regards.

Swagat

Feb 24, 2009, 2:44:31 AM2/24/09
to Dinesh Valke, Yazdy Palia, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Dineshji,

You are right... it is Euphorbiaceae    Synadenium grantii,
but it is called 'Shend'  शेंड not the 'Sher' शेर in Marathi.

What we called 'Sher' शेर in Marathi is 'Euphorbia turicalli'' that's different plant.
Local names of 'Euphorbia turicalli' : Indian tree spurge, Milk bush, Milk hedge, Pensil Tree.
- in Sanskrit: Vajradroom वज्रद्रुम, बहुक्षीरा,

Regards,
~Swagat

Dinesh Valke

Feb 24, 2009, 12:32:03 PM2/24/09
to Swagat, Yazdy Palia, sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Many thanks Swagat ji for this correction and also for providing the names in Sanskrit.
Regards.