a climber for ID 22.04.09 AT

Abhay Tiwari

Apr 22, 2009, 7:37:02 AM4/22/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Have been seeing this climber around the city of Mumbai. I think it
has been flowering since march. And flowers it profusely.

Please help with the identification.

Climber location: Ambedkar Udyan, Powai, Mumbai.

Abhay

DSC00567.JPG
DSC00568.JPG
DSC00569.JPG

Neil Soares

Apr 22, 2009, 8:54:03 AM4/22/09
to Abhay Tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abhay,
  It is Calycopteris floribunda locally called Ukshi.
              With regards,
                Neil Soares.

J.M. Garg

Apr 22, 2009, 10:02:09 AM4/22/09
to Neil Soares, Abhay Tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Neil ji.

Some extracts from Wikipedia link (for pictures/ more details, pl. click on the link):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukshi

Calycopteris floribunda, commonly known as Ukshi, is a large climbing shrub which is 5-10 m long, with vines that are about 5–10 cm in diameter, the stem and leaves are said to have medicinal properties. Ukshi is found extensively in the low-lying tropical evergreen forests of the Western Ghats. These are also found in "Kavus" or the Sacred Groves of Kerala.

It bears grey bark and tenuous branches with thick fluff on the surface. The keratinous leaves, ovoid or oval, are 5–12 cm long. New branches are hairy and rust coloured. The flowers occur in dense clusters are the end of branches. The bracts of the small flowers are ovoid or oval, with thick fluffs on the surface. Petals are absent and the 10 stamens are arranged in 2 cycles.

The fruit inception bears 1 ventricle and 3 pendulous ovules inside. The fluffy sham-winged fruit, which is about 8 mm long, has 5 edges and 5 persistent calyxes which enlarges into the fluffy wing 10–14 mm in length. The sepals are prominent, hairy and green.

Ukshi is revered as a life-saver by the forest dwellers who regularly depend on this vine during summer when streams dry up. Sections of the vine store water, which people often use to quench their thirst.

The leaves are bitter, astringent, laxative, anthelmintic, depurative, diaphoretic and febrifuge. They are useful in intestinal worms, colic, leprosy, malarial fever, dysentery, ulcers and vomiting. The fruits are useful in jaundice, ulcers, pruritus and skin diseases.

More details from Indiantreepix Database:

Calycopteris floribunda Combretaceae Paper Flower Climber, Ukshi, Pullani 2/3/08- in Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai; at Tansa catchment- March'09;  Calycopteris floribunda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Paper Flower Climber, Ukshi in Marathi - indiantreepix | Google Groups Pani Lata ? - indiantreepix | Google Groups paper flower climber (Calycopteris floribunda) - indiantreepix | Google Groups

2009/4/22 Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 22, 2009, 10:08:10 AM4/22/09
to Neil Soares, Abhay Tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
...just as Neil ji says: Calycopteris floribunda.

commonly known as: the paper-flower climber • Konkani: उस्की uski • Malayalam: പുല്ലാനി pullani OR പുല്ലാഞ്ഞി pullanji • Marathi: झाल jhaal, उक्षी ukshi • Sanskrit: श्वेतधातकी shvetadhataki, सुसवी susavi • Tamil: புல்லாந்தி வல்லி pullanti valli • Telugu: మురుగుడుతీగె murugudutige

... friends knowing Bengali, Hindi, Kannada, Oriya can please validate (and provide in native scripts), the names put here:
• Bengali: gaichha lata ... what is gaichha ? ...লতা lata for climber, creeper &c
Hindi: kokoray ... just cannot figure what it would mean
Kannada: enjarigekubsa, marasadaboli ... no clues regarding these.
Oriya: dhonoti ... no resources available for knowledge.

Regards.

Abhay Tiwari

Apr 22, 2009, 1:01:19 PM4/22/09
to indiantreepix
Lovely! I thought it was a climber. So it is a shrub that turns
climber. Beautiful. Many thanks.

Regards

Abhay

On Apr 22, 7:08 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...just as Neil ji says: *Calycopteris floribunda.*
>
> *commonly known as*: the paper-flower climber • Konkani: उस्की uski •
> Malayalam: പുല്ലാനി pullani OR പുല്ലാഞ്ഞി pullanji • Marathi: झाल jhaal,
> उक्षी ukshi • Sanskrit: श्वेतधातकी shvetadhataki, सुसवी susavi • Tamil:
> புல்லாந்தி வல்லி pullanti valli • Telugu: మురుగుడుతీగె murugudutige
>
> ... friends knowing Bengali, Hindi, Kannada, Oriya can please validate (and
> provide in native scripts), the names put here:
> • Bengali: gaichha lata ... what is gaichha ? ...লতা *lata* for climber,
> creeper &c
> • Hindi: kokoray ... just cannot figure what it would mean
> • Kannada: enjarigekubsa, marasadaboli ... no clues regarding these.
> • Oriya: dhonoti ... no resources available for knowledge.
>
> Regards.
>

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >   Hi Abhay,
> >   It is Calycopteris floribunda locally called Ukshi.
> >               With regards,
> >                 Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Apr 22, 2009, 2:16:06 PM4/22/09
to Abhay Tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abhay,
  Sending you a few of my photographs of Calycopteris floribunda. The photographs were taken at my farm at Shahapur.
           With regards,
             Neil Soares.

--- On Wed, 4/22/09, Abhay Tiwari <abha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Calycopteris floribunda,Ukshi flowering.jpg
Ukshi flowers.jpg
Calycopteris floribunda flowers.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 22, 2009, 10:56:08 PM4/22/09
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, Abhay Tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think Kokore should be कोकोरे in Hindi. Thanks, Dinesh ji for providing me with unicode_devanagari_editor.

Rakesh Biswas

Apr 23, 2009, 1:41:09 AM4/23/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Bengali: gaichha lata ... what is gaichha ?

Gaichha or Gecho means tree climber.

regards,

rakesh

Dinesh Valke

Apr 23, 2009, 1:49:35 AM4/23/09
to Rakesh Biswas, indian...@googlegroups.com
....Rakesh ji, I am curious to know whether the two words gaichha lata make sense as a name in Bengali for this plant ... I ask because both of them seem to mean the same: creeper / climber.
Regards.

Rakesh Biswas

Apr 23, 2009, 2:02:09 AM4/23/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Gaichha lata would mean tree (Gaichha) climber (lata) to a Bengali.

However the word 'Gaichha' in itself means 'one that is at home with trees' and could be used in common parlance to label even humans/kids who are particularly naughty and hang around playing in and around trees all day etc or it could also be a label for all things/animals arboreal.

regards,

rakesh

Stephen A

Apr 23, 2009, 2:18:04 AM4/23/09
to Rakesh Biswas, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
I do agree with Rakesh Ji,
Lata Hindi plant name derived from the Sanskrit word, meaning "creeper," in reference to a creeping plant.
Refer: http://www.names-meanings.net/name/lata.html

And even Tamil Name Valli means Creeping Plant.
Refer: http://www.behindthename.com/name/valli

Common name always denotes the habit or habitat of the plants!!!

Regards,

Stephen...
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+

Dinesh Valke

Apr 23, 2009, 2:46:15 AM4/23/09
to Stephen A, Rakesh Biswas, indian...@googlegroups.com
... that was fantastic help: thanks very much to Rakesh ji and Stephen ji ... I hope গাছ লতা is correct ... transliterates to gācha latā.
Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Apr 23, 2009, 3:29:46 AM4/23/09
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Garg ji for कोकोरे in Hindi. Do you know of any meaning to this word ?

I had checked out earlier the same at these two dictionaries:

Both, do not have any entry for कोकोरे.

Rakesh Biswas

Apr 23, 2009, 4:58:18 AM4/23/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
গেছো may be a better transliteration.

rakesh

Dinesh Valke

Apr 23, 2009, 5:19:13 AM4/23/09
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Thanks again, Rakesh ji.

Devendra Bhardwaj

Apr 23, 2009, 9:09:24 PM4/23/09
to indiantreepix, Abhay Tiwari

Hello Sir,

Petrea volubilis L., syn..

With Regard

Devendra Bhardwaj

Have been seeing this climber around the city of Mumbai. I think it
has been flowering since march. And flowers it profusely.

Please help with the identification.

Climber location: Ambedkar Udyan, Powai, Mumbai.

Abhay

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!

Devendra Bhardwaj

Apr 23, 2009, 9:10:11 PM4/23/09
to indiantreepix, Abhay Tiwari

Hello Sir,

Petrea volubilis L., syn.

With Regard

J.M. Garg

Apr 23, 2009, 10:30:17 PM4/23/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix, Abhay Tiwari
Hi, Devendra ji,
It's Calycopteris floribunda locally called Ukshi as per earlier discussions in the same thread.