Tree & Flower for ID

Vedprakash Singh

Jan 10, 2010, 1:27:01 AM1/10/10
to indiantreepix
Sir/Mam,

This was photographed in the CST (Mumbai) area, very near to Sterling Theater. ID requested pls. Thanks

V P Singh, Nagpur
SDC10301.JPG
SDC10304.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Jan 10, 2010, 1:41:36 AM1/10/10
to Vedprakash Singh, indiantreepix
... native of tropical America, Couroupita guianensis ... commonly known as: cannon ball tree • Bengali: kaman gola • Hindi: नागलिंग nagalinga, तोप गोला tope gola • Kannada: లింగద మర lingada mara,  నాగలింగమ nagalingam • Marathi: कैलासपती kailasapati • Tamil: நாகலிங்கம் naagalingam • Telugu: naagalingam, naagamalli, mallikarjuna

Regards.

Vijayadas D

Jan 10, 2010, 5:43:05 AM1/10/10
to Dinesh Valke, Vedprakash Singh, indiantreepix
In Malayalam , it is called as Nagalingam,

 But I like to know, more about this tree,  I found this tree at  Zoo park and Secretariat - Trivandrum

--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Dinesh Valke

Jan 10, 2010, 9:25:22 AM1/10/10
to Vijayadas D, Vedprakash Singh, indiantreepix
Many thanks for the name in Malayalam, Vijayadas ji.
... most often found planted in temple premises, also found in gardens as an ornamental tree for its beautiful intriguing flowers.
The fruit resembles cannon ball, hence the name for the tree .. read more at FOI ... http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Cannon%20Ball%20Tree.html

Dinesh Valke

Jan 10, 2010, 9:59:36 AM1/10/10
to Vijayadas D, Vedprakash Singh, indiantreepix
Mani ji's response: This tree shed its leaves whenever there is air pollution near it.

Regards.

Neil Soares

Jan 10, 2010, 12:04:26 PM1/10/10
to Dinesh Valke, Vijayadas D, Vedprakash Singh, indiantreepix

Hi,

  Don’t think that you will find this mentioned anywhere – but the Cannon Ball Tree [Couroupita guianensis] is a tree that abruptly sheds all its leaves only to develop a crown of fresh new leaves with a day or two.

  Dr.Almeida once told me of an incident where there was a gas leak in a laboratory at ?St. Xavier’s College and the next day a Kailashpati tree that stood adjacent to the building had shed all its leaves.

                  With regards,

                     Neil Soares.

Muthu Karthick

Jan 12, 2010, 2:49:11 AM1/12/10
to Neil Soares, Dinesh Valke, Vijayadas D, Vedprakash Singh, indiantreepix

Couroupita guianensis - 'Naagalingapoo' in Tamil;
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth
Chennai
www.careearthtrust.org

Pardeshi S.

Jan 12, 2010, 9:55:12 AM1/12/10
to efloraofindia
hello all
Acording to Almeida sir (and even i have observed this), Corupita
guianensis shed its leaves thrice a year.
ie. at the change of every season.
i have observe Deep red, Pink and Peach-colored forms of this plant in
Mumbai.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi