Ravenala madagascariensis-Travelers palm

rashida atthar

Sep 2, 2009, 9:33:02 PM9/2/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

This very unique palm ( not a true palm) combination of part banana plant and part palm tree is planted at the Sagar upvan (BPT Gardens), Mumbai. It is from what I read a monotypic -only species in its genus. It is commomnly called travelers palm because sheaths of the stem hold rainwater which can be used by travellers.

The trunk of the palm is underneath during its early years, but as it grows it reveals the trunk and looses of the leaves. Pic taken on 30 August'09.

regards,
Rashida.

Are you an untamed, bizarre or daring explorer? Find out now! Drag n' drop
Ravenala madagascariensis.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2009, 7:38:49 AM9/3/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Rashida ji,very graceful plant,  we have few in our Gardenin Delhi. I will send photographs with inflorescence in separate post

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Padmini Raghavan

Sep 3, 2009, 1:18:08 PM9/3/09
to Gurcharan Singh, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
One of the posts on the net said that it was called a "traveller's palm" because its leaves were aligned in a North-South direction.
Is that substantiated by the palms in your gardens?
Padmini Raghavan

Dinesh Valke

Sep 3, 2009, 2:36:19 PM9/3/09
to Padmini Raghavan, Gurcharan Singh, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Padmini ji, there are few palms at O P Garden (Observation Point Garden, also known as Chota Kashmir) in Aarey Milk Colony, Mumbai.
... the plants are not aligned North-South.

Map attached showing arrows in two places; the plants are aligned along arrows.

Regards.
OPG.jpg