Nicandra physaloides OR N. physaloides

Dinesh Valke

Sep 3, 2010, 2:45:59 AM9/3/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Please let me know the accepted spelling of physalodes in context of Nicandra physalodes ... physaloides seems to be apt but not found so at NPGS / GRIN [ http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?25243 ]

Regards.

Muthu Karthick

Sep 3, 2010, 4:18:40 AM9/3/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dineshji,
According to MOBOT (tropicos.org) also the correct name is Nicandra physalodes (L.) Gaertn.

Nicandra physaloides is invalid.

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Muthu Karthick

Sep 3, 2010, 4:40:48 AM9/3/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dineshji,
but as per older authors like PF Fyson (in Flora of South Indian Hill stations) and as per Flora Simlensis it is mentioned as Nicandra physaloides Gaertn. Also said in Flora of British India

Dinesh Valke

Sep 3, 2010, 4:43:09 AM9/3/10
to Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
... many thanks Muthu ji for the clarification.

Inadvertently created confusion in the subject line ... have repeated the same spelling !!

Regards.

tanay bose

Sep 3, 2010, 1:44:21 PM9/3/10
to Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
As I strongly follow GRIN the spelling out there is accepted everywhere
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant