Pali near Khopoli, MH :: Vegetable for ID :: ARK2019-60

Alka Khare

Sep 1, 2019, 1:12:38 AM9/1/19
to efloraofindia
Hello friends

This vegetable was on sale at the local vendor. This was at Pali near Khopoli, MH in Aug 2019.
He called it 'Dhamni' or 'Dhanni' in Marathi. It is available only during this time.

Requested to please ID.

Regards
Alka Khare
Type3IMG_1472.JPG
Type3IMG_1473.JPG
Type3IMG_1471.JPG

dr.rakesh Singh

Sep 1, 2019, 10:40:12 AM9/1/19
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Probably leaf of Corchorus species .

ushadi

Sep 1, 2019, 10:46:33 AM9/1/19
to efloraofindia
reminds me of jute // pat saag
Regards
Ushadi

dr.rakesh Singh

Sep 1, 2019, 2:27:26 PM9/1/19
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Jute is manufactured from fibers of Corchorus olitorius/ capsularis .

ushadi

Sep 2, 2019, 3:01:30 AM9/2/19
to efloraofindia
I know that
but in markets
its called jute saag,
including in queens ny where the Bangladeshis come to sell and buy these.
Regards
Ushadi

Alka Khare

Sep 2, 2019, 12:10:18 PM9/2/19
to efloraofindia
Thanks for the feedback Rakesh ji and Usha di.

However, I do not think this is Corchorus aestuans or olitorius, particularly based on the venation of the leaves. I clicked a Corchorus just close by and the venation is different. See attached.

Thanks and regards
Alka Khare

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 11:57 PM dr.rakesh Singh <dr.rake...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jute is manufactured from fibers of Corchorus olitorius/ capsularis .

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019, 20:16 ushadi <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
reminds me of jute // pat saag
Regards
Ushadi

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019, 10:42 Alka Khare <alk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello friends

This vegetable was on sale at the local vendor. This was at Pali near Khopoli, MH in Aug 2019.
He called it 'Dhamni' or 'Dhanni' in Marathi. It is available only during this time.

Requested to please ID.

Regards
Alka Khare

Hello friends

This vegetable was on sale at the local vendor. This was at Pali near Khopoli, MH in Aug 2019.
He called it 'Dhamni' or 'Dhanni' in Marathi. It is available only during this time.

Requested to please ID.

Regards
Alka Khare

Corchorus aestuans_Tamhini Bhagad1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Sep 12, 2019, 7:35:38 AM9/12/19
to efloraofindia, Alka, dr.rakesh Singh, Ushadi micromini

To me appears some Urticaceae member ?

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 1,70,000 images are directly displayed).

Type3IMG_1472.JPG
Type3IMG_1473.JPG
Type3IMG_1471.JPG

J.M. Garg

Sep 20, 2019, 2:39:44 AM9/20/19
to efloraofindia, Alka

Sep 21, 2019, 9:16:11 AM9/21/19
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Alka
Noted with thanks. But no clue Garg ji.

dr.rakesh Singh

Sep 22, 2019, 12:28:34 PM9/22/19
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J M. Garg, Alka
My guess was Corchorus ,
I feel it cd be Corchorus urticifolia , or a Laportea sp.......it strongly resembles Laportea inrterrupta I have seen .

J.M. Garg

Sep 30, 2019, 1:20:54 AM9/30/19
to efloraofindia, Alka, dr.rakesh Singh
Leaf venation of Corchorus urticifolius looks different from High resolution specimen from India from GBIF.

Sep 30, 2019, 1:27:00 AM9/30/19
to efloraofindia, Alka, dr.rakesh Singh
Leaf venation also does not matches with Laportea interrupta

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2020, 1:34:02 AM10/20/20
to efloraofindia
Forwarding again for ID

Group discussion at

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 20, 2020, 1:46:12 AM10/20/20
to efloraindia
Perilla frutescens ??
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2020, 7:27:57 AM10/20/20
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Forwarding again for ID

Group discussion at

Oct 20, 2020, 8:36:05 AM10/20/20
to efloraindia
Perilla frutescens (L.) Britton ??
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Oct 22, 2020, 5:33:49 AM10/22/20
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, GurcharanSingh, Alka
I do not think matches with Perilla

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 11, 2021, 9:43:48 PM11/11/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 11, 2021, 10:00:26 PM11/11/21
to indiantreepix, Alka Khare
Nov 12, 2021, 2:41:11 AM11/12/21
to efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Alka Khare

radha veach

Nov 13, 2021, 12:34:54 PM11/13/21
to efloraofindia
It does look like Perilla.
I can't think of any wild local plant it might be. I had shown the images to local people who all shook their heads. They did not recognise the plant.
Regards
Radha

Adittya Dharap

Nov 13, 2021, 10:01:58 PM11/13/21
to efloraofindia
They are tender leaves of
Clerodendrum serratum = Rotheca serrata
  commonly known as Bharangi and often sold in local markets early monsoon. Tender leaves are consumed in Konkan while flowers are consumed up in Sahyadris.

best regards

Adittya

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 14, 2021, 4:42:31 AM11/14/21
to efloraindia, aditty...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg, radha veach, Gurcharan Singh
I guess not !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Jan 19, 2022, 3:34:11 AM1/19/22
to efloraofindia, Alka, dr.rakesh Singh, Saroj Kasaju, radha veach, Adittya Dharap
Jan 19, 2022, 10:25:29 AM1/19/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Alka, dr.rakesh Singh, radha veach, Adittya Dharap
Is it used as vegetable as mentioned by Alka Ji ?

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju