Koenigia nepalensis (Polygonum filicaule)_RKC_04102011

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Oct 3, 2011, 10:25:15 PM10/3/11
to efloraofindia
Dear all,

In response to the earlier post on Polygonum recumbens by Gurucharan sir and Balkar sir, I am uploading a few photographs of Koenigia nepalensis D. Don (=Polygonum filicaule Wall ex Meisn.) for more clarification.

Family: Polygonaceae.

Loc.: On way to Churdhar (ca 1500m), Himachal Pradesh

Date: 10th August, 2010.

Regards,
Ritesh.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 4, 2011, 12:55:42 AM10/4/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Ritesh ji. Perhaps we have to find out whether Polygonum filicaule (with both Koeningia filicaule and K. nepalensis as its synonyms according to The Plant List). or Koeningia nepalensis.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Oct 4, 2011, 12:59:38 AM10/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir,

I could not get you point! Would you please elaborate?

I checked Fl. Pakistan too..
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=242100084

Waiting to hear from you.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 4, 2011, 1:09:09 AM10/4/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Ritesh ji
Flora of Pakistan was piublished in 2001. Both Flora of China (2003) and The Plant List (2010) recognize P. filicaule as correct name.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Oct 4, 2011, 1:31:08 AM10/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you sir!

Considering Hedberg's work (1997) on Koenigia (cant attach the PDF here due to big file size), I think the genus deserves a separate status and I would be happy to follow K. nepalensis as an accepted name.

Moreover, I am not comfortable with the mixing of Persicaria and Polygonum in Fl. China. Rather, Fl. Pakistan's treatment is justifiable and is in line with the molecular studies carried out by Kim & Donghue (2008) and others.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 4, 2011, 1:45:15 AM10/4/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Ritesh ji
You managed to send the monograph in the previous mail. Yes the molecular data would help in deciding the ultimate status. Let us wait till we find some conclusions. Who knows you being an authority on the group could convince (through your publications) The Plant List and other recent databases to change their listing. After all most scientific community is bound to follow The Plant List.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Oct 4, 2011, 1:51:11 AM10/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks for the good words and blessings sir!

I am hopeful to convince the group in near future with my work.

Best regards,
Ritesh.