Gomphrena serrata hope ID is correct

satyendra tiwari

Oct 25, 2009, 1:32:45 AM10/25/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
After seeing the photos on the group I tried to look for it in the Garden
I hope my ID is correct If not pl help?
Regards.
Satyendra

--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 25, 2009, 2:10:00 AM10/25/09
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Probably G. celosioides. Gomphrena decumbens Jacq. is synonym of G. serrata, but as per Eflora of Pakistan G. decumbens sensu Gamble is G. celosioides.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 25, 2009, 5:53:59 AM10/25/09
to satyendra tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Satyedra ji
Two characters clearly differentiate the species:
In G. celosioides the rachis (inflorescence axis) elongates with age and bracteoles are irregularly toothed only near apex.

In G. serrata the rachis does not elongate as such even mature inflorescence appears globose; the bracteoles are toothed 1/2 to full length.

I hope that should help in final identification of your plant.