mornig glory like small purple flower

Samir Takaochi

Jan 19, 2009, 12:39:28 PM1/19/09
to indiantreepix
Hello friends, Could someone adivce me for ID?

Place: Gurgaon, Haryana
Flower diameter:1.5cm

flowers.JPG
leaves.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 20, 2009, 9:04:59 AM1/20/09
to Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Ipomoea arachnosperma syn. Ipomoea dichroa? - see the link: http://ts-den.aluka.org/fsi/img/size2/alukaplant/pre/phase_01/pre0001/preart0002571.jpg (pic.), http://www.aluka.org/action/showCompilationPage?doi=10.5555/AL.AP.COMPILATION.PLANT-NAME-SPECIES.IPOMOEA.DICHROA (desc.)

2009/1/19 Samir Takaochi <band...@gmail.com>
Hello friends, Could someone adivce me for ID?

Place: Gurgaon, Haryana
Flower diameter:1.5cm

Samir Takaochi

Jan 21, 2009, 2:16:34 AM1/21/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Garg, thank you so much for information.

It also looks like Ipomoea triloba. Both look having same feature. I wonder which one is correct.

Samir Takaochi

Jan 21, 2009, 5:50:02 AM1/21/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I have one question. In the web which you attached, discription of leaf was mentioned as below

"Leaf-blade deeply 3-lobed, rarely entire, 5–13 cm."

"Rarely entire" means "rarely trifoliate"? or rarely leaf-blade deeply 3-lobed is over entire plant?
If it means former one, then it might be triloba, because discription of triloba says sometime leaf does not have  blade. I can see leaf which has very less blade in background of 2nd photo .

I d like to listen to you and other's opinion.

flowers.JPG
leaves.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 21, 2009, 9:30:31 AM1/21/09
to Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Hi, Samir ji.
"Leaf-blade deeply 3-lobed, rarely entire," means leaf is generally deeply 3-lobed but once in a while it can be without lobes also. Your picture clearly shows a leaf which is deeply 3-lobed.
As far the final Id. I may request Dinesh ji ( as posted link is of Dinesh ji's pic.) & others to pl. comment.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Samir Takaochi

Jan 21, 2009, 10:23:06 AM1/21/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Garg ji, my friend told me that one of differences between triloba and dichra is hair on stem.  triloba does not have hair on stem whereas dichra has.

I attached photo of stem which I have currently. stem near leaf side looks no hair but stem below buds looks having small hair.

I wonder again.

2009/1/21 J.M. Garg jmg...@gmail.com
stem2.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Jan 21, 2009, 10:42:25 AM1/21/09
to J.M. Garg, Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Garg ji and Samir ji,
I did not jump in earlier for the obvious fact that I am very bad with these look-a-like Convolvulaceae members !!!
Yet to tell you frankly, when I saw for the first time, the photos of Samir -- the first thought was I. triloba.
I double-checked the leaves, the buds and the flower, however the description ... leaves entire or ** somewhat 3-lobed **, base usually cordate, kept me from commenting here.
In simple words, no thoughts here about ID.

Samir ji, if possible to visit the site again, get to these flowers before they lose their prime, and capture side profile of the flower, preferably a close shot, showing the throat as well as sepals ... those may help us all in getting close to ID.
If no chance, it is better not to believe it as I. triloba even if it tempts any of us !!

Regards.

Samir Takaochi

Jan 21, 2009, 12:04:18 PM1/21/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dinesh ji thank you very much for your comment and advice. I try on your advice if I can do now or might be later if not possible now, then I again report here with photo.

Thank you.

J.M. Garg

Jan 21, 2009, 7:56:12 PM1/21/09
to Samir Takaochi, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Hi, Samir ji & Dinesh ji,
What I feel is that flower buds (posted by Samir ji) appears to be more closer to I. triloba than to Ipomoea arachnosperma syn. Ipomoea dichroa. I feel that should be one of the difference to clinch the Id.

Dinesh Valke

Jan 22, 2009, 8:16:31 AM1/22/09
to J.M. Garg, Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
oh! in which case, I would vote for I. triloba.
Many thanks Garg ji.
Regards.

Samir Takaochi

Jan 22, 2009, 10:38:32 PM1/22/09
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Thank you Garg ji , Dinesh ji. I was not able to find it at same place.

By the way my friend has found dichra's photo on web.
I feel leaf is similar to my photo, but triloba's bud  is more similar to my photo.

Any way I think I have to wait for flower.

JM Garg

Oct 30, 2016, 4:03:49 AM10/30/16
to efloraofindia, Samir Takaochi, Tabish, Dinesh Valke
May be Ipomoea sagittifolia Burm. f. as per images herein. Leaves are quite variable ?
flowers.JPG
leaves.JPG

dr.rakesh Singh

Oct 23, 2018, 2:14:53 AM10/23/18
to efloraofindia
Absolutely Ipomoea triloba . Points in favour......trilobed leaf , inflorescence , and nonhairy stem ,( there are only few straight long hairs 2to4 mm on outer calyx lobes on outside if looked carefully) . Ipomoea dichroa is too hairy everywhere on plant .Ipomoea sagittifolia should have purple spot in center of leaf , and , throat of flower is much wider in posted flower , to be I. sagittifolia .

J.M. Garg

Oct 23, 2018, 2:54:18 AM10/23/18
to dr.rakesh Singh, efloraofindia, Tabish, Samir Takaochi, DineshValke
Thanks, Rakesh ji