salvinia from KU Kurukshetra University

Balkar Arya

Apr 6, 2010, 11:26:04 PM4/6/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Members
Salvinia
 from KU Kurukshetra University for sp id pls

Regards
Balkar Singh
salvinia from KU Kurukshetra.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2010, 12:09:23 AM4/7/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Yes Balkar ji
Salvinia cucullata

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Apr 7, 2010, 1:05:19 AM4/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Balkar Ji,
I go with Gurcharan Ji this plant is indeed Salvinia cucullata Roxb. ex Bory.
Regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Vijayadas D

Apr 7, 2010, 1:56:00 AM4/7/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
I like to identify this as Salvinia molesta.
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy
Salwa Garden Village, PB -7210
Riyadh -11462 , KSA

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2010, 3:19:18 AM4/7/10
to Vijayadas D, tanay bose, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Vijayadas ji
I think you are right, it is S. molesta. The same plant also grows in Delhi, which has been reported as S. cucullata. Thanks for adding one more species to my knowledge.

 S. cucullats: Uppermost (floating) leaves entire at apex, to 1.2 cm long, broader than long with margins curving upwards and inwards; upper leaf surfaces with papillae in irregularly curved rows, the tips not joined.  Sporocarps form on the submerged, rootlike lower leaves.

 This species is similar to S. molesta. The characters of S. molesta are leaves longer than broad with deeply indented leaf apices; the papillae hairs are joined at their tips to form a cage-like structure

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Apr 7, 2010, 7:50:30 AM4/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayadas D, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Vijaydas ji,
thankyou for pointing out my mistake........ and broadening by knowledge.
regards
tanay

Balkar Arya

Apr 7, 2010, 11:29:30 AM4/7/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Tanay, Gurcharan Ji and Vijaydas ji
thanks for this id which was pending with me since last many years
Regards
Balkar Singh