The transformation - white water lilies

raghu ananth

Jan 15, 2010, 9:10:15 AM1/15/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

As the monsoon draws to a close, the backwaters of the Krishnarajasagar dam (Mysore District), flood the plains swamping the fields with water. Where once this area was awash with swaying paddy fields, now the shallow water logged fields are dotted with thousands of white water lilies in full bloom – a dazzling carpet of white and blue. (Pictures 1,2,3, Date: 29 Nov 2009, Time 12:51, )

And just two days later, the ephemeral nature of these flowers was brought home to us as in place of the fully bloomed lotuses were lotus buds all set to repeat the same cycle again.  (Pictures 4,5,6, Date: 01 Dec 2009, Time 16:30)

After January the waters starts receding and before the onset of summer, these lands will sport paddy fields once again.

Just as perhaps the poet Robert Herrick who said

We have short time to stay, as you,
We have as short a spring;
As quick a growth to meet decay,
As you, or anything.
We die
As your hours do, and dry
Away,
Like to the summer's rain;
Or as the pearls of morning's dew,
Ne'er to be found again”.

Never mind that he was referring to daffodils.

Regards

Raghu / Sunita

DSC_6479a.jpg
DSC_6476.jpg
DSC_6481.jpg
DSC_6718.jpg
DSC_6714.jpg
DSC_6729.jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 18, 2010, 7:05:44 AM2/18/10
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl. in terms of Bot. name.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSC_6479a.jpg
DSC_6476.jpg
DSC_6481.jpg
DSC_6718.jpg
DSC_6714.jpg
DSC_6729.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 18, 2010, 9:28:39 AM2/18/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, raghu ananth
Perhaps Nymphaea pubescence

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Mar 11, 2010, 2:55:42 AM3/11/10
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth, Gurcharan Singh-sify

Earlier relevant feedback:

Perhaps Nymphaea pubescence

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

Mar 11, 2010, 5:13:55 AM3/11/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Update on the water lilies - Feb 05, 2010,
Large number of water lilies which were found  floating on the surface in Dec 09 are rapidly dying out. With the retreating river waters the water levels have subsided by 15-20 feet. The Paddy fields start re-emerging from beneath.

Excerpt from earlier mail dated 01 Dec 2009

"After January, the waters starts receding and before the onset of summer, these lands will sport paddy fields once again."

Mar 11, 2010, 7:43:15 AM3/11/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
The aquatic plant in the attached photo is Nymphaea pubescens. I thinkcGurcharan Ji made a small typhographical error. Hope he will not mind about my comment. Sorry Sir for the comment.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 11, 2010, 8:02:05 AM3/11/10
to tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tanay
Pleasure is mine, you reciprocated me in spelling typographic (just a joke).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Mar 11, 2010, 8:32:15 AM3/11/10
to Gurcharan Singh, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,
It was a good Joke but truely I do make a lot mistake while typing fast in keyboards.
Regards
Tanay