Bichhati

sibdas ghosh

Feb 4, 2010, 10:21:30 AM2/4/10
to indiantreepix
This is a stinging nettle, commonly known in Bengali - Bichhuti and
Bichhu booti in Hindi. This is Tragia involucrata, belonging to
Euphorbiaceae. There is another plant of same name- Urtica dioica of
Urticaceae. The latter can be found mainly in the sub-himalayan tracts
and also in the Himalayas in the temperate zone.
In our folk tales plants have have affectionate relationship with
mankind. Bichhati is perhaps the only exception. It is referred to as
wicked daughter of an influential minister, and appropriately so .-
Midnapore, Jan. 2010
DSCF0043.JPG

Pravin Kawale

Feb 4, 2010, 12:48:10 PM2/4/10
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Hi,
Is it the same?
Photographed at Kanakeshwar,Alibag
01Feb,2010
Thanks

> --

Pravin

Pravin Kawale

Feb 4, 2010, 12:52:18 PM2/4/10
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Hi,
Sorry, Forgot to attach photographs.
Regards

--
Pravin

DSC01370-1.JPG
DSC01368-1.JPG
DSC01373-1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 4, 2010, 12:47:32 AM3/4/10
to efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale, sibdas, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Hi,
Is it the same (Tragia involucrata?)
Photographed at Kanakeshwar,Alibag
01Feb,2010
Pravin”
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSC01370-1.JPG
DSC01368-1.JPG
DSC01373-1.JPG

tanay bose

Mar 4, 2010, 12:52:22 AM3/4/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale, sibdas, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi
Dear All,
this plant is Tragia involucrata [ Tragia hispida]. it gives itching effect like Urtica when it comes in contact with human skin. it has immense medicinal importance.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Dinesh Valke

Mar 4, 2010, 12:52:48 AM3/4/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale, sibdas, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi
Pravin ji, to me it does look like T. involucrata, unless there is any other close species.

T. involucrata is commonly known as: canchorie root-plant, climbing nettle • Assamese: dumuni chorat • Bengali: বিছুটি bichuti • Hindi: बढन्त barhanta, पीत पर्णी pit parni • Kannada: ತುರಿಕೆ ಬಳ್ಳಿ turike balli • Malayalam: ചൊറിയണം coriyanam • Marathi: आग पान aag paan, आग्या aagya, कळलावी kallaavi, लघुमेडशिंगी laghumedhshingi • Nepalese: उट कटेरी ut kateri • Oriya: kasalakku • Sanskrit: आगमावर्ता aagmavarta, दुःस्पर्ष duhsparsha, कषाग्निः kashagnih, वृश्चिकाच्छद vrischikacchad, वृश्चिकाली vrischikali, वृश्चिकापत्री vrischikapatri • Tamil: காஞ்சொறி kanchori • Telugu: తేలుకొండిచెట్టు telukondicettu

Regards.

JM Garg

Jan 26, 2017, 5:03:04 AM1/26/17
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, Dinesh Valke, sibdas
Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please as Tragia involucrata
DSCF0043.JPG

Tapas Chakrabarty

Jan 26, 2017, 9:01:22 AM1/26/17
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, sibdas
The image is faint and of very low resolution and as such can not be named with certainty.  However, in that locality only T. involucrata is known to occur.

J.M. Garg

Jan 26, 2017, 11:38:11 PM1/26/17
to Tapas Chakrabarty, sibdas, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia

Thanks a lot,  Tapas ji