White Flowering tree | IDreq 24Jun10AR01

raghu ananth

Jun 23, 2010, 4:51:46 PM6/23/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Regional Name : Malale Mara  [Kananda ]

Height 20-25 feet, White flowers 5cms approx, fallow farm land, hedges, Young leaves 10cms approx,
Photo date: 11 May 2010

Regards
Raghu

Date/Time :

Location- Place, altitude and GPS:

Kalenahalli, Mysore district

Habitat- garden/ urban/wild/type:

Village,

Plant Habit-tree/shrub/climber/herb:

Tree / hedges

Height/length:

25 ft

Leaves-type/shape/size:

Elliptical/ /10cms

Inflorescence type /size:

-

Flowers-size/colour/calyx/bracts:

 5cms/White

Fruits type-shape/size/seeds:

 As in the photograph

Fragrance/odour/pollinator/uses  and so on

-

DSC_2312g.jpg
DSC_2295a.jpg
DSC_2318h.jpg
DSC_2313g.jpg
DSC_2299c.jpg
DSC_2299b.jpg

Neil Soares

Jun 23, 2010, 10:08:53 PM6/23/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Hi Raghu,
 Nice photographs of Kala Kuda [Wrightia tinctoria].
                  Regards,
                   Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Jun 23, 2010, 10:21:24 PM6/23/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Hi Raghu,
 In a recent discussion on this tree on this site, had posted some of my photographs. Am sending a few more taken last Sunday.
                        Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 6/24/10, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Tree / hedges
Kala Kuda [Wrightia tinctoria].jpg
Kala Kuda [Wrightia tinctoria] flowers.jpg

raghu ananth

Jun 23, 2010, 11:24:10 PM6/23/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Neil, for the ID - Kala Kuda [Wrightia tinctoria].

Regional Names - Haale, Beppaale [ Kannada ]

Regards
Raghu

From our ITP database

black indrajau, dyeing rosebay, dyers’s oleander, ivory tree, pala indigo plant, sweet indrajao • Gujarati: દૂધલો dudhalo • Hindi: दुधी dudhi, इन्द्रजौ indrajau, Mitha-indrajau, काला कुडा kala kuda, करायजा karayaja, कुडा kuda • Kannada: ಅಜಮರ ajamara, Kodamurki • Konkani: काळाकुडो kalakudo • Marathi: भूरेवडी bhurevadi, काळा कुडा kala kuda, 'Goda Indrajav' 'गोडा इंद्रजव' • Malayalam: ഭന്തപ്പാല bhanthappaala, കമ്പിപ്പാല kampippaala, നിലപ്പാല nilappaala • Sanskrit: असित कुटज asita kutaj, hyamaraka, स्त्री कुटज stri kutaja • Tamil: இரும்பாலை irum-palai, பாலை paalai, வெட்பாலை vet-palai • Telugu: అంకుడుచెట్టు ankuduchettu, చిట్టిఅంకుడు chiti-anikudu, కొండజెముడు kondajemudu, Amkuda

Jun 24, 2010, 1:48:59 AM6/24/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rev Ferdinand Kittel's [German Scholar, indologist,  priest]  in his Kannada - English dictionary [1894] mentions another regional name for  the Wrightia tinctoria tree -hallu novu mara, meaning  tooth ache tree. Probably the tree has some medicinal use  w.r.t  tooth ache.

Sometimes , the tree names vary every 50kms we traverse.  (Even the culture, accent, dialect, slang, food varies), It should be a mammoth job of collecting regional tree names from different regions.  However,  its always interesting to know the meaning behind the tree names.

Growing of this tree is encouraged by forest conservators. However, these trees are seldom seen in the villages in my neighborhood and are probably growing on their own.

Nice to know Neil ji has this tree in his farm. ( It appears, you name a tree and Neil ji has one in his farm:).  Its probably a tree haven. !

"We need to present the eflora Vriksh Mitra award  to Dr. Neil "

Trees are my friends, trees are my God
    Trees are my friends, trees are my children
Trees are my body, trees are my soul
    Trees are my wealth..

Let us learn to be selfless, grow more trees
And make the world a beautiful place.

(A Folk song  from garhwal)

Regards
Raghu

In Malayalam ,as per my knowledge this plant is called as 'danta
pala' & 'vidpala'.
'kampi pala' is -Mallotus philippinesis - 'kampillaka' in Sanskrit
'nila pala' is - Tylophora asthmatica

Sheji

On Jun 24, 8:24 am, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Neil, for the ID - Kala Kuda [Wrightia tinctoria].
>
> Regional Names - Haale, Beppaale [ Kannada ]
>
> Regards
> Raghu
>
> From our ITP database
>
> black indrajau, dyeing rosebay, dyers’s oleander, ivory tree, pala indigo plant, sweet indrajao • Gujarati: દૂધલો dudhalo • Hindi: दुधी dudhi, इन्द्रजौ indrajau, Mitha-indrajau, काला कुडा kala kuda, करायजा karayaja, कुडा kuda • Kannada: ಅಜಮರ ajamara, Kodamurki • Konkani: काळाकुडो kalakudo • Marathi: भूरेवडी bhurevadi, काळा कुडा kala kuda, 'Goda Indrajav' 'गोडा इंद्रजव' • Malayalam: ഭന്തപ്പാല bhanthappaala, കമ്പിപ്പാല kampippaala, നിലപ്പാല nilappaala • Sanskrit: असित कुटज asita kutaj, hyamaraka, स्त्री कुटज stri kutaja • Tamil: இரும்பாலை irum-palai, பாலை paalai, வெட்பாலை vet-palai • Telugu: అంకుడుచెట్టు ankuduchettu,
>  చిట్టిఅంకుడు chiti-anikudu, కొండజెముడు kondajemudu, Amkuda

sheji

Jun 24, 2010, 2:05:16 AM6/24/10
to efloraofindia
a small correction, 'nilappala' is - Euphorbia hirta. Tylophora
asthmatica is- 'vallippala' . sorry .

sheji