06MAR10-1159-DV

Dinesh Valke

Mar 7, 2010, 11:19:21 AM3/7/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

ID please.

Date/Time : March 6, 2010 at 11.59am IST
Location Place : Rajur- Ratangad Road, near Bhandhara lake... Altitude : about 777 m ... GPS : 19°30'52.07"N, 73°45'49.26"E ... not exact, ± few seconds
Habitat : Wild (perhaps planted) ... Type : plains, at high elevation
Plant Habit : large shrub ... Height : 2 -3 m ... Length : - not creeper -
Leaves Type : simple, oppositely arranged, long petioled ... Shape : lanceolate ... Size : about 12 - 15 cm x 3 - 4 cm
Inflorescence Type : compound cyme ... Size : 30 - 40 cm
Flowers Size : about 5 - 6 mm ... Colour : white ... Calyx : not sure ... Bracts : do not know
Fruits Type : do not know ... Shape : do not know ... Size : do not know ... Seeds : do not know

Other Info :
Fragrance : not smelled ...  Pollinator : do not know ...  Uses : do not know.

Regards.

P1150589.jpg
P1150573.jpg
P1150573_cropped.jpg
P1150583.jpg
P1150585.jpg
P1150585_cropped.jpg
P1150587.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 7, 2010, 11:24:57 AM3/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh Ji,
I hope this plant is Aesculus indica.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 7, 2010, 11:51:31 AM3/7/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Not Aesculus Tanay, the leaves are simple

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 7, 2010, 11:53:46 AM3/7/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
How about Vernonia arborea?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Mar 7, 2010, 11:55:58 AM3/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia

I think you are right Sir Ji!!!!

Regards
Tanay

Prashant awale

Mar 7, 2010, 12:02:57 PM3/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh,
Nice photographs, Thanks for sharing. I was trying to recollect one of the discussion of "Wendlandia sp.". One is W. thyrsoidea where in leaves are whorled and second one i remember is W. heynei wherein leaves are opposite and filament excerted. In your case the leaves looks   opposite. May be Shrikiant ji will be able to add more to this..
Thanks & best wishes
Prashant

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 7, 2010, 1:28:38 PM3/7/10
to efloraofindia
Prashant, you said it all. There is nothing to add over your precise
recollection, it is W. heynei. Regards, Shrikant

On Mar 7, 10:02 pm, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Dinesh,
> Nice photographs, Thanks for sharing. I was trying to recollect one of the
> discussion of "Wendlandia sp.". One is W. thyrsoidea where in leaves are
> whorled and second one i remember is W. heynei wherein leaves are opposite
> and filament excerted. In your case the leaves looks   opposite. May be
> Shrikiant ji will be able to add more to this..
> Thanks & best wishes
> Prashant
>

> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear friends,
>
> > ID please.
>

> > *Date/Time* : March 6, 2010 at 11.59am IST
> > *Location Place* : Rajur- Ratangad Road, near Bhandhara lake... *Altitude*: about 777 m ...
> > *GPS* : 19°30'52.07"N, 73°45'49.26"E ... not exact, ± few seconds
> > *Habitat* : Wild (perhaps planted) ... *Type* : plains, at high elevation
> > *Plant Habit* : large shrub ... *Height *: 2 -3 m ... *Length* : - not
> > creeper -
> > *Leaves Type *: simple, oppositely arranged, long petioled ... *Shape* :
> > lanceolate ... *Size* : about 12 - 15 cm x 3 - 4 cm
> > *Inflorescence Type* : compound cyme ... *Size* : 30 - 40 cm
> > *Flowers Size* : about 5 - 6 mm ... *Colour* : white ... *Calyx* : not
> > sure ... *Bracts* : do not know
> > *Fruits Type* : do not know ... *Shape *: do not know ... *Size* : do not
> > know ... *Seeds* : do not know
>
> > *Other Info* :
> > *Fragrance* : not smelled ...  *Pollinator* : do not know ...  *Uses* : do

> > not know.
>
> > Regards.
>
> >  --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at

> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

tanay bose

Mar 7, 2010, 1:41:44 PM3/7/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear All,
Atlast I got the name hope this time it will be right Wendlandia heynei, (Roem. & Schult.) Santapau & Merch. Can anyone check it for me? i had a hard time finding its name.

Regards
Tanay

Kenneth Greby

Mar 7, 2010, 4:40:08 PM3/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I don't know, but opposite foliage and panicles suggest Oleaceae to me.

Looks rather Ligustrum-like, but too showy.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Mar 7, 2010, 10:57:10 PM3/7/10
to Kenneth Greby, efloraofindia
.. missed the attachment showing decussate leaves.
Regards.
P1150585_cropped_zoom.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 7, 2010, 11:28:08 PM3/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, Kenneth Greby, efloraofindia
Dear Kenneth,
If we move into the family Oleaceae as suggested by you with the genus Ligustrum , then it can be Ligustrum robustum has a elabotate inflorescence and it is an invasive species in South India Several online reports suggests so]. Please see the link below and confirm me wether in an correct!!

Regards
Tanay

Kenneth Greby

Mar 8, 2010, 12:10:23 AM3/8/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Tanay and Dinesh--

 I am unfamiliar with L. robustum, and the links via Google Images were not definitive. I've forwarded the photos to a friend at Leu Gardens in Orlando, Florida, USA for his input. When and if I hear a response, I will let all know. In the meantime, hopefully others may have additional information.

 From the tree's position (near a graded road cut), I would surmise that a vigorous, non-native species is at least possible, barring any additional information.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

I will wait until your friend replies you back.
Regards
Tanay

On Mar 8, 10:10 am, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tanay and Dinesh--
>
>  I am unfamiliar with L. robustum, and the links via Google Images were not definitive. I've forwarded the photos to a friend at Leu Gardens in Orlando, Florida, USA for his input. When and if I hear a response, I will let all know. In the meantime, hopefully others may have additional information.
>
>  From the tree's position (near a graded road cut), I would surmise that a vigorous, non-native species is at least possible, barring any additional information.
>
> Regards--
> Ken Greby.
>
> ________________________________

tanay bose

Mar 8, 2010, 12:14:00 AM3/8/10
to Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Kenneth thank you for your response I will wait until your friend reply you back successfully
Reagrds
tanay

Kenneth Greby

Mar 9, 2010, 2:17:53 PM3/9/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
My contact in Florida, USA felt too that this looked like Oleaceae, perhaps a Ligustrum, but he had not seen it before either.

Hopefully others will have input for ID.

Regards--
Ken.

Mar 9, 2010, 2:24:38 PM3/9/10
to Kenneth Greby, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
thanks ken for confirmation
tanay

Dinesh Valke

Mar 16, 2010, 2:17:53 AM3/16/10
to navendu page, efloraofindia
Dear friends,

With Navendu ji's response, settling for Wendlandia heynei, just as Shrikant ji's and dear Prashant's comments.
Dear Ken, hoping that you are convinced of the various considerations leading to the conclusion; please do put your thoughts if in other direction.
... many thanks to everyone.

Regards.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM, navendu page <navend...@gmail.com> wrote:
I strongly believe that the plant you have sent me iis Wendlandia. The differences that you have observed are detailed but all the characters you mentioned are variable and do not mean much. It cant be Oleaceae since they have only 2 stamens, unlike your plant which has 5. Opposite deccusate is very much the phylotaxi you see in Wendlandia.

navendu

On 14 March 2010 12:53, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Navendu,

Forwarding this ID query; please give a thought at your leisure.
Shrikant ji (Ingalhalikar) and Prashant Awale suggested Wendlandia heynei.
Kenneth states that it may belong to Olaeceae, looks to him, rather Ligustrum-like, but too showy.

Personally, am not familiar with any of these IDs.
However when looking at Wendlandia photos that are already posted (W. heynei and W. thyrsoidea) at efloraofindia, it makes me think that my posted flowers are relatively shorter.
Especially the buds in my photos seem to have shorter length, and seems more globose.
The racemes too, in my photos, seem to show almost all flowers in bloom at the sametime, rather than showing part length of raceme with buds and part of it having flowers bloomed in the earlier posted mails.

Another point to stress on is, the leaves are arranged opposite and deccusate.

Let me know if you would need original photos for your diagnosis.

Regards.

--
Navendu Page

PhD student
Kartik Shanker's Lab
Center for Ecological Sciences
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560012
Ph: +91 9611053510

Kenneth Greby

Mar 16, 2010, 2:27:27 AM3/16/10
to Dinesh Valke, navendu page, efloraofindia
I have no reason to dispute the reasoning of local experts here. Indeed, my observations were rather superficial based on rather crude observations where no others were given at the time. Glad that a reasonable conclusion was achieved, and I'm glad that I learned a new plant.

Regards--
Ken.

Mar 16, 2010, 5:31:44 AM3/16/10
to Kenneth Greby, Dinesh Valke, navendu page, efloraofindia
Dear all,
Kindly refer my post with subject: Rubiaceae for id 100310MK2

The bigger clue for arriving to this family is the presence of 'Inter-petiolar stipule', so no need for thinking of other families (like Oleaceae).

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow