Etymology- Cordia sebastiana

nivi tha

Jul 2, 2010, 6:00:22 AM7/2/10
to efloraofindia
Etymology no.16- Cordia sebastiana (Boraginaceae)

Cordia- Valerius Cordus, German herbalist.

 sebastiana - Persian word Sepistan, a name foe fruits of an allied species growing near Sebesta town.

The wood gives sweet small while burning

--
Selvalakshmi S.
Doctoral Scholar,

Senthilkumar

Jul 2, 2010, 8:31:58 AM7/2/10
to nivi tha, efloraofindia
Hi Selvalakshmi

Good. You are giving an additional information for the species. You can also provide the photos for the particular species if you have.

I AM REQUESTING OTHERS ALSO IF THEY HAVE PHOTOS FOR THE PARTICULAR POST. IT WOULD BE GOOD AND INFORMATIVE FOR EFLORA LOVERS, ESPECIALLY THOSE FROM NON-PLANT TAXONOMY BACKGROUND.

Regards
Senthilkumar U.

Senthilkumar U.
BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,
University of Agricultural Sciences,
Bangalore-560 065.
Karnataka, India

Padmini Raghavan

Jul 2, 2010, 2:06:05 PM7/2/10
to Senthilkumar, nivi tha, efloraofindia
Here are my pics of Cordia sebestena blooming in my garden at Chennai. This was in December, but it is still in bloom.

Padmini Raghavan.

Bangalore +Nandi Hills 228.jpg
Bangalore +Nandi Hills 229.jpg
Bangalore +Nandi Hills 230.jpg