Flora at my farm in Hyderabad - Please ID this tree - 3

Raptor Conservation

Aug 11, 2010, 1:29:29 PM8/11/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

This is the third species; not common (only 5 trees), not gregarious and the trees on my land are of various sizes.

Again, will appreciate help with the ID.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi,
General Secretary, Raptor Conservation Foundation,
1-10-63/4, Chikoti Gardens, Begumpet,
Hyderabad-500 016,
Andhra Pradesh, India.
Mobile No: (091) 9866978785
Email: raptorc...@yahoo.com

Species 3 a.jpg
Species 3 b.jpg
Species 3 c.jpg
Species 3 d.jpg

Neil Soares

Aug 11, 2010, 1:57:02 PM8/11/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Raptor Conservation
Hi Dr.Juwadi,
  This is a Pterocarpus sp. possibly Red Sanders [P.santalinus].
                       With regards,
                         Neil Soares.

tanay bose

Aug 11, 2010, 2:11:45 PM8/11/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, Raptor Conservation
Red sandal is possible the bark scrap could help us out
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Raptor Conservation

Aug 12, 2010, 12:15:53 PM8/12/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Neil Soares
Dear Neil ji,

Some of the locals think this Jit-eggi (Dalbergia latifolia), but they are not sure. If possible, can you post a few pictures of D.latifolia. This too is a species that is on my 'to plant' list.

What are the features that tell apart P.marsupium and P.santalinus?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi,
General Secretary, Raptor Conservation Foundation,
1-10-63/4, Chikoti Gardens, Begumpet,
Hyderabad-500 016,
Andhra Pradesh, India.
Mobile No: (091) 9866978785
Email: raptorc...@yahoo.com

Neil Soares

Aug 12, 2010, 1:48:06 PM8/12/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Raptor Conservation
Hi Dr.Juwadi,

  Have all 3 trees on my farm at Shahapur.

Pterocarpus santalinus [Red Sanders] occurs naturally only in a small area in Andhra Pradesh and adjoining parts of Tamil Nadu. It is obviously planted on my property.

 Sending you photographs of the leaves of all 3 for comparison.

                                   With regards,
                                     Neil Soares.
Pterocarpus santalinus, Red Sanders leaves.jpg
Pterocarpus marsupium, Bibla leaves.jpg
Dalbergia latifolia,Shisham leaves.jpg

Raptor Conservation

Aug 12, 2010, 2:28:47 PM8/12/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Neil Soares
Dear Dr. Neil,

Thanks a lot for the pictures, appreciate it. Today I made a small scraping on one of the tree and a from it exuded blood-like sap.

The leaves of the tree (species 4 b, the one that I had posted yesterday), are exactly like D.latifolia.

J.M. Garg