Astragalus for specific identification:: NS May 2022

Nidhan Singh

May 20, 2022, 9:52:15 PM5/20/22
to indiantreepix
Dear All,

Please suggest identification for this Astragalus sp.
It was photographed recently from Kangra District, Himachal Pradesh..

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Associate Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227
Astragalus (5).JPG
Astragalus (2).JPG
Astragalus (1).JPG
Astragalus (3).JPG
Astragalus (4).JPG
Astragalus (6).JPG
Astragalus (7).JPG

Nidhan Singh

May 20, 2022, 10:34:59 PM5/20/22
to indiantreepix
Can this be  Caragana brevispina Benth. ??  as uploaded by Ashutosh Ji, a few days back..

J.M. Garg

May 24, 2022, 5:48:07 AM5/24/22
to efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
I think it looks different from the images at Caragana brevispina Benth.
Also could not find a match as per comparative images at Astragalus.
What elevation ?
What are the listed species from Himachal?

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2022, 8:10:08 AM5/26/22
to efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Can this be Caragana brevispina Benth.?? as uploaded by Ashutosh Ji, a few days back..

I think it looks different from the images at Caragana brevispina Benth.
Also could not find a match as per comparative images at Astragalus.
What elevation ?

What are the listed species from Himachal?- from me

Astragalus (5).JPG
Astragalus (2).JPG
Astragalus (1).JPG
Astragalus (3).JPG
Astragalus (4).JPG
Astragalus (6).JPG
Astragalus (7).JPG

Ashutosh Sharma

May 27, 2022, 11:41:22 AM5/27/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
Respected Garg ji and Nidhan ji,

The flowers in this shrub plant are stalkless and solitary so ruling out Caragana brevispina.

The other two species known from Western Himalaya with such long spines and solitary stalkless flower is Caragana gerardiana and Caragana sukiensis and both of them looks quite similar except for latter having ear like extension to the wing petal and papery free stipules which falls soon. Also C. sukiensis is known to occurs as low as 2400 m elevation.
I am attaching list of all Caragana species known from Indian Himalayan Region and a picture from Flowers of Himlaya book differentiating between the two, hoping this may help to confirm.

Nidhan sir may be know the approx. elevation?

With best regards
Ashutosh Sharma
Caragana species from Himalayan Region.png
Caragana sukiensis and C. geradiana.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 27, 2022, 11:46:41 AM5/27/22
to Ashutosh Sharma, efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
Thanks a lot, Ashutosh ji
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Nidhan Singh

May 29, 2022, 1:13:28 AM5/29/22
to J.M. Garg, Ashutosh Sharma, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Ashutosh Ji for detailed analysis of the post...
I can say that that the altitude may be around 2500 m.. it was above Mcleodganj, on way to Triund..!!

J.M. Garg