Dombeya spectabilis from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 5, 2011, 10:31:23 PM9/5/11
to efloraofindia
Dombeya spectabilis Bojer, Ann. Sci. Nat., Bot. sér. 2, 18:191. 1842
Syn:  Assonia spectabilis (Bojer) Kuntze

Shrub or tree with reddish stellate pubescence; leaves ovate to orbicular, cordate, to 17 cm long, entire or dentate; flowers white or pink 2 cm across, in paniculate cymes.

Photographed from Herbal Garden and Vikas Puri in New Delhi.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dombeya-spectabilis-Herbal-gdn-Delhi-1.jpg
Dombeya-spectabilis-herbal-gdn-Delhi-3.jpg
Dombeya-spectabilis-Vikas-puri-Delhi-2.jpg

Balkar Arya

Sep 6, 2011, 9:26:23 AM9/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Any peculiar difference between calantha and spectabilis
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 6, 2011, 12:16:13 PM9/6/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Here it Balkar ji

D. burgessiae (syn: D. calantha): ovary 5-celled with 6-8 ovules in each cell; leaves 3-5-lobed, up to 30 cm across, pubescent on both sides; peduncle 15-20 cm long.

D. spectabilis: ovary 3-celled with two ovules in each cell; leaves 10-12 cm long, shallowlt 3-lobed or entire, white-tomentose beneath; peduncle 3-7 cm long.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Sep 6, 2011, 12:17:14 PM9/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Sir

Ushadi micromini

Sep 6, 2011, 11:54:26 PM9/6/11
to efloraofindia
and D. Wallichii??? How do I identify it/ distinguish it from this
one?

Usha di
=

On Sep 6, 9:17 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Sir
>

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here it Balkar ji
>
> > D. burgessiae (syn: D. calantha): ovary 5-celled with 6-8 ovules in each
> > cell; leaves 3-5-lobed, up to 30 cm across, pubescent on both sides;
> > peduncle 15-20 cm long.
>
> > D. spectabilis: ovary 3-celled with two ovules in each cell; leaves 10-12
> > cm long, shallowlt 3-lobed or entire, white-tomentose beneath; peduncle 3-7
> > cm long.
>
> > --
>
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Any peculiar difference between calantha and spectabilis

Ushadi micromini

Sep 6, 2011, 11:57:11 PM9/6/11
to efloraofindia
Oh I forgot to ask you, any taxonomy book for beginners that not only
defines in language but has good illustrations and how to dissect
these ovary etc...???

USha di
==

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 7, 2011, 12:31:12 AM9/7/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Usha di

D. burgessiae (syn: D. calantha): ovary 5-celled with 6-8 ovules in each cell; leaves 3-5-lobed, up to 30 cm across, pubescent on both sides; peduncle 15-20 cm long; stigma included, 5-lobed.

D. spectabilis: ovary 3-celled with two ovules in each cell; leaves 10-12 cm long, shallowly 3-lobed or entire, white-tomentose beneath; peduncle 3-7 cm long; stigma included, 2-4-lobed.

D. wallichii: Ovary 5-celled; leaves up to 35 cm long, sometimes acutely 3-angled; peduncle more than 20 cm long; stigma exserted, 5-lobed; fruit with 2 cm long persistent style.; bracts up to 6 cm long.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Dec 9, 2017, 3:00:08 AM12/9/17
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, Ushadi micromini, Balkar Arya
I think Dombeya spectabilis Bojer as per images herein and as per your another thread: Malvaceae Fortnight: Dombeya spectabilis from Delhi-GSJULY22/22
Dombeya burgessiae Gerrard ex Harv. & Sond. is different as per images herein.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg