Habenaria grandifloriformis

Satish Phadke

Aug 16, 2009, 1:46:34 PM8/16/09
to indiantreepix Indian
Ashadh has gone as also ashadh Habe amri flowers.
I saw this Habenaria with leaves and fruits today.
I believe this is Ashadh amari(Habenaria grandifloriformis) As per BSI Flora of Maharashtra State the distinguishing character between the two Habenarias H.grandifloriformis and H. rariflora are
a)Leaves thin, anthers rounded at the tip....................................................H. rariflora
b)Leaves fleshy, coriaceous; anthers distinctly tricuspidate at tip.................H. grandifloriformis
Few days back Adittya Dharap has said that it easy to distinguish by looking at the leaves.
Looking at the picture......Any comments what the species can be?
Dr Phadke

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Habenaria grandifloriformis4.jpg

Adittya Dharap

Aug 18, 2009, 10:49:22 AM8/18/09
to Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com

Hello Satish ji,

I would like to reply the email regarding Habenaria rariflora & H. grandifloriformis a little in detail. I would like to clarify exactly what I really meant about the leaves as a key for identification.
Following is what I feel & would request for further comments.

The image attached with your email is certainly H.grandifloriformis.
For the very basic difference between the leaves of the two species I would like to quote from the Habenaria key by none other Fr. Santapau & Kapadia.
Am attaching few pages from the key. (Sincere apologies regarding the file sizes but the text was not visible in lower resolution).

The clear distinction in the species is that the leaves of H.rariflora are oblong lanceolate - thin - not flat on the ground. On the contrary H. grandifloriformis has leaves that are ovate - fleshy - flat on ground.

Regarding the endemism of H. rariflora in Karnataka - Kerala mentioned by Garg ji in one of the email, I would like to again quote Fr. Santapau from Flora of Khandala  about the abundance ( kindly refer the flora).
Though I do not have an image of H.rariflora, I had seen them on an elevated plateau near Kamshet - near Lonavala. The flowering season coincided with that of H.hyneana.

Have put forth my observations regarding the two species. Would request for further comments.

best regards

Adittya Dharap

--- On Sun, 8/16/09, Satish Phadke <phadke...@gmail.com> wrote:
Habenaria_Key1.jpg
Habenaria_Key2.jpg
Habenaria_Key3.jpg

Prashant awale

Aug 18, 2009, 12:36:37 PM8/18/09
to Adittya Dharap, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Adittya ji,

I am sending 2 photos of "Habenaria grandifloriformis" which i had taken at 'kavnai" fort near Igatpuri. 'Common Indian wild flower book by Shri Issac Kehimkar" has good illustration on this sp.

best wishes
Prashant..
chikarkanda4.JPG
Chikarkanda2.JPG

Satish Phadke

Aug 19, 2009, 8:25:21 AM8/19/09
to Prashant awale, Adittya Dharap, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Adittya
Good compilation of references. Puts all doubts to rest.
BSI Flora Maharashtra doesn't clearly state  the differences in the leaves.
Another important info. is H. rariflora is mostly found on rocks etc rather than on planes(Ground).
Attaching few more pictures of H. grandifloriformis taken in Mahabaleshwar in Jun 2008
Dr Phadke

2009/8/18 Prashant awale <pka...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com