Swamy/New series/ID/8 - Plant for ID Alpinia calcarata

M Swamy

May 10, 2021, 12:18:56 AM5/10/21
to efloraofindia
Dear members,
I am attaching the photograph received from Chennai  for ID.   Photograph taken last week  (May 5th ). For me it looks like  Alpinia calcarata.  Please confirm / suggest the ID.  Unable to get habit photo from the sender  inspite of my request..  Therefore, only one photograph available for ID.
Dr.Mahadeswara Swamy
IMG-20210506-WA0005.jpg

Bala Subramaniam

May 10, 2021, 6:53:17 AM5/10/21
to indiantreepix
It seems to be Elettaria cardamomum.
Regards
Dr. B. Subramaniam

Saroj Kasaju

May 10, 2021, 7:00:14 AM5/10/21
to efloraindia
Looks like net images are confusing . Both species showing same type images
except for few images for Elettaria cardamomum ! However, this sp. should be
Alpinia calcarata (Andrews) Roscoe ! Elettaria cardamomum (L.) Maton

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Bala Subramaniam

May 10, 2021, 7:36:55 AM5/10/21
to indiantreepix
Dear All,
I had also photographed Elettaria cardamomum in June 2020 which I am posting here for reference.
Warm regards
Dr. B. Subramaniam

20200619_112603.jpg

Mahadeswara

May 10, 2021, 8:06:42 AM5/10/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks  Saroj ji & Balasubramaniyam ji.

Saroj Kasaju

May 10, 2021, 11:42:58 AM5/10/21
to efloraindia

Mahadeswara

May 11, 2021, 12:36:42 AM5/11/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks Saroj ji for clarification and detailed info with links .  I  am taking as  Alpinia calcarata.

Saroj Kasaju

May 11, 2021, 3:16:33 AM5/11/21
to efloraindia
My pleasure !
Thank you Mahadeswra Ji !

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

May 16, 2021, 11:20:22 AM5/16/21
to efloraofindia, balasubra...@gmail.com, Saroj Kasaju, M Swamy
Hi, Bala ji,
Images of Elettaria cardamomum are different as per images herein.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Bala Subramaniam

May 16, 2021, 12:40:32 PM5/16/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, M Swamy
OK, Garg ji.
Thanks
Dr. B. Subramaniam
Dr.