Flower for ID170710MN

mani nair

Jul 17, 2010, 1:31:00 AM7/17/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sending a picture of flower from Ranibaug, Byculla, Mumbai.

Kindly identify the flower.

Regards,
Mani.

Date/Time :

May 2009

Location- Place, altitude and GPS:

Ranibaug, Byculla

Habitat- garden/ urban/wild/type:

Urban

Plant Habit-tree/shrub/climber/herb:

Herb

Height/length:

1/2 ft.

Leaves-type/shape/size

Inflorescence type /size:

Flowers-size/colour/calyx/bracts:

Fruits type-shape/size/seeds:

-

Fragrance/odour/pollinator/uses  and so on:

-

flow-id.jpg

Tabish

Jul 17, 2010, 2:10:02 AM7/17/10
to efloraofindia
China Pink (Dianthus chinensis)
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/China%20Pink.html
- Tabish
>  flow-id.jpg
> 87KViewDownload

tanay bose

Jul 17, 2010, 7:44:26 AM7/17/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Dianthus chinensis indeed one of the common garden plants comes in lovely shades
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

nabha meghani

Jul 17, 2010, 3:29:31 PM7/17/10
to tanay bose, Tabish, efloraofindia
Hallo all,
Mani ji, when i saw the foto, i thought it would be bartnelke (germanname), which is Dianthus barbatus. Well, i don't know the fine differences between the Dianthus varieties. But experts have spoken.
Wiki says: The name Dianthus is from the Greek words dios ("god") and anthos ("flower"), and was cited by the Greek botanist Theophrastus.
moreover specially for your son: Dianthus species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Cabbage Moth, Double-striped Pug, Large Yellow Underwing and The Lychnis.
Regards
Nalini

Jul 17, 2010, 4:01:49 PM7/17/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Tabish ji for the info. Now I understand the difference.
regards