Kannada, Malayalam and Tamil names for Crotalaria heyneana Graham ex Wight & Arn.

Dinesh Valke

Apr 22, 2022, 4:40:18 AM4/22/22
to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara Swamy, Vinayaraj V R - Cogito ergo sum, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear Mahadeswara ji, Vinaya Raj and Vijayasankar ji,

Crotalaria heyneana Graham ex Wight & Arn. is distributed within India, naturally in the states of Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

In English, the name Heyne's crotalaria (or Heyne's rattlebox) - derived from the commemorative epithet heyneana, honouring Dr Benjamin Heyne FLS (1770, Döbra – 6 February 1819, Madras), a German botanist, naturalist, and surgeon who worked in British India as a botanist to Samalkot in the Madras Presidency under the British East India Company ... about Dr Benjamin Heyne in Wikipedia.

On similar lines, can we coin commemorative names in Kannada, Malayalam and Tamil ?
The rattlebox - in these three languages are following : ಗೆಜ್ಜೆ ಗಿಡ gejje gida, കിലുകിലുപ്പ kilukiluppa, கிலுகிலுப்பை kilukiluppai

Here is my attempt for the three languages (merely made use of Google Translate):
ಹೇಯ್ನನ  ಗೆಜ್ಜೆ ಗಿಡ heyn-na gejje gida
ഹെയ്‌നിന്റെ കിലുകിലുപ്പ hey‌ninre kilukiluppa
ஹெய்ன்ந கிலுகிலுப்பை heyn-na kilukiluppai

If this does not sound good, it is okay to avoid giving name, or I am open to any other suggested name.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Apr 22, 2022, 10:28:58 AM4/22/22
to efloraofindia
Superb !
Thank you very much Mahadeswara ji for help with the transliterated name.
I will soon add it to the compilation.
Regards.
Dinesh

Apr 23, 2022, 11:44:17 AM4/23/22
to efloraofindia
Hi Dinesh ji,

The name Heyne is pronounced in different ways, Heyṉ ஹெய்ன், Hēyṉ ஹேய்ன், Haiṉi ஹைனி etc. and I am not sure of the correct way of writing it in Tamil.
Is it possible to coin a name based on its flower color (for e.g. blue crotalaria or Neela kilukiluppai நீல கிலுகிலுப்பை), habitat (e.g. wild/forest crotalaria or Kaattu kilukiluppai காட்டு கிலுகிலுப்பை) or other characteristics? Just a suggestion. I checked online for any existing documented Tamil names but couldn't find any.

Vijayasankar

Dinesh Valke

Apr 29, 2022, 2:52:04 AM4/29/22
to efloraofindia
Dear Vijayasankar ji,
I missed reading your mail.

Thank you very much for the efforts taken for this Heyne's crotalaria !!!
I too have found transliterating foreign word in our mother tongue almost always becomes challenging !!

To avoid any ambiguity, I will go with the fool-proof காட்டு கிலுகிலுப்பை kaattu kilukiluppai

Regards.
Dinesh