Shrub from Teressa Island ID...

Apurba Das

Jun 28, 2021, 4:07:20 AM6/28/21
to indiantreepix
Dear All

In Feb 2018 I have collected this plant, small much branched approx.
1.5-2 m height.
Photos attached for Identification. Need ID help.

With Regards
Apurba Kumar Das
DSCN3567.JPG
DSCN3580.JPG
DSCN3574.JPG
DSCN3590.JPG

Mahadeswara

Jun 28, 2021, 8:29:04 AM6/28/21
to efloraofindia
Flowers have a resemblance to Morinda flowers.  But need to identify the species whether it is Morinda or closely related species or otherwise.

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 28, 2021, 9:49:28 AM6/28/21
to efloraindia, Apurba Das, M Swamy, J.M. Garg
I guess it is close to Morinda citrifolia L. !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

radha veach

Jun 28, 2021, 9:39:09 PM6/28/21
to efloraofindia
The fruit doesn't look like a Morinda sp.
It might be a species of Timonius  (Rubiaceae)

regards
Radha

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 29, 2021, 3:06:19 AM6/29/21
to efloraindia, Apurba Das, M Swamy, radha veach, J.M. Garg
Timonius flavescens (Jacq.) Baker ??
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

radha veach

Jun 29, 2021, 10:58:59 AM6/29/21
to efloraofindia
Well, my guess is Timonius finlaysonianus (Wall. ex G.Don) Hook.f.  or  Timonius jambosella Thwaites var. finlaysoniana (Wall. ex G.Don) King and Gamble, going on leaf and shape of calyx.
Timonius finlaysonianus is supposed to be a widespread species. The genus Timonius "is considered as one of the highly diverse genera of Rubiaceae"
I have never seen this plant so your guess is as good as mine!

regards
Radha

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 29, 2021, 11:36:48 AM6/29/21
to efloraindia, radha veach, Apurba Das, J.M. Garg
Does it have distribution in Andaman/Nicobar ??
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Jul 7, 2021, 12:24:18 PM7/7/21
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, radha veach, Apurba Das
I agree with Radha ji. Though distribution is not shown, it is highly probable to be reported from there as per distribution in the map given in POWO.
It also appears close as per images at Phytoimagesonlinelibrary and Florafaunaweb

Leaf apex looks different from images and specimens at GBIF and POWO

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg