Calotropis procera

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 22, 2010, 4:08:37 PM8/22/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Taken snaps of the flowers and leaves of this Calotropis plant (Asclepiadaceae) in a village of West Bengal yesterday morning...I love the wild fragrance of these flowers.
Gynandrous condition is found in this plant.
The stamens and carpels unite completely to form a pillar-like structure called Gynostegium.

regards
Shantanu :)

calotropis.jpg
calotropis4.jpg
calotropiss.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 22, 2010, 4:10:04 PM8/22/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing, but this is Calotropis gigantea.
Regards
Pankaj

Shantanu

Aug 22, 2010, 4:18:04 PM8/22/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji...
actually i was not sure about the species.

Shantanu :)
> > Shantanu :)- Hide quoted text -

tanay bose

Aug 22, 2010, 6:12:26 PM8/22/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
This is Calotropis gigantea indeed
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 22, 2010, 9:29:27 PM8/22/10
to tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Yes Calotropis gigantea, raised stigmatic disc, white flowers

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Sid

Aug 22, 2010, 10:06:03 PM8/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Beautiful pictures of Calotropis gigantea Shantanu ji. The white vareity is quite rare in South India I guess. I have never seen it in the wild, except in garden where it is kept as sacred. Its interesting to know that you love the smell of these wild flowers. I always thought they were just weeds.

Muthu Karthick

Aug 24, 2010, 8:20:16 AM8/24/10
to Sid, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Dear all,
I suspect this shrub to be a different species (C. procera), because of the leaf morphology. Please help me to resolve this.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 24, 2010, 10:30:22 AM8/24/10
to Muthu Karthick, Sid, tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Muthu ji
Kindly refere to this thread in which both species have been discussed