DESMOSTACHYA BIPINNATE

Skip to the first unread message

Anand Kumar Bhatt

22-Jul-2010, 3:26:42 am22/07/10
to indiantreepix
What tree or bush is DESMOSTACHYA BIPINNATE whhc is used in several Hindu pujas? I may have spelled the name incorrectly. Thanks.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Ninad Raut

22-Jul-2010, 3:43:00 am22/07/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Anand Sir,
Desmostachya bipinnata Stapf [family POACEAE] is a grass.

http://plants.jstor.org/upwta/2_449?cookieSet=1

Regards
Ninad B. Raut
SRF, WII
Dehra Dun

Tabish

22-Jul-2010, 4:12:52 am22/07/10
to efloraofindia
It is a grass which is called डाभ Dabh in Hindi, Kush in Bangla and
Assamia
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Daabh.html
- Tabish

promila chaturvedi

22-Jul-2010, 7:31:50 am22/07/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
In Hindi also D. bipinnata is called KUSH. At the time of worship kush mats are used. As per our mythology Rishi Valmik cloned the child Love from Kush grass only. He was known as Kush.
Promila

Reply to all
Reply to the author