Scientists trying to identify ’sanjivani’ herb

Vijay Vasant Barve

Oct 17, 2009, 7:37:37 PM10/17/09
to wildflo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Some NBRI scientists are looking for Sanjivani. Pl. check the article @ http://diversityindianews.blogspot.com/2009/10/scientists-trying-to-identify-sanjivani.html

Regards,

Vijay
http://diversityindia.org/

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 17, 2009, 9:57:22 PM10/17/09
to Vijay Vasant Barve, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Till we discover the real one the name Sanjeevani will go with Selaginella bryopteris, the resurrection plant. Last year I found it being sold in Chandani Chowk area of Delhi.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 18, 2009, 12:51:23 AM10/18/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vijay ji,

  Many herbs are known as Sanjivani in Central India.

Sanjivani Booti of Chhattisgarh: Needing Conservation Efforts.
by
Pankaj Oudhia

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=earticleView&earticleId=236&page=-2

In Chhattisgarh many herbs are used as Mrita Sanjivani. Instead of making claims and claims I started documenting knowledge about it in form of report.

* Divine medicinal herbs of Indian state Chhattisgarh having Mrita Sanjivani (Sanjeewani) like unique healing properties. (Present size: plus 10 GB)

This report is in CGBD database. I am trying to make it online.

Gurucharan ji, a herb named Sanjivani was available for sale in famous Rajim Mela last year. I have taken pictures and Pestnet group members identified it as Azolla. Please click "Different views" for close-ups.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=101321

Pankaj Oudhia

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Oct 18, 2009, 9:28:01 AM10/18/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Dr. Pankaj Oudhia,

Just wanted to let you know that the picture available on your link is
not Azolla but some species Selaginella itself may be species is
'bryopteris'.
Just by curiosity, I wud say that if a Sanjivini is there then it
should be something that grows on rock in the Himalaya, according to
the epic. Azolla is an aquatic plant which ones dries, cant be
rejuvenated again.....

Regards
Pankaj

Vijayadas D

Oct 18, 2009, 9:33:06 AM10/18/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Yes,

Dr.Pankaj kumar is right. that plant is  S.bryopteris

--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 18, 2009, 10:27:44 AM10/18/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Yes Pankaj Ji
This was the plant also selling in Chandani Chowk Delhi and it surely is
Selaginella bryopteris and not Azolla. I brought the dried plant home,
soaked it in water and it turned into a normal green plant of Selaginella
bryopteris.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45
Oct 18, 2009, 11:27:09 AM10/18/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
A similar but much robust species Selaginella jacquemontii grows on rocky
cliffs in Kashmir valley. It can also resist drought considerably. The first
time we collected this plant, we thought it to be some species of Cupressus.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45
Oct 18, 2009, 11:51:40 AM10/18/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, t.pu...@ecoport.org
Thanks Gurucharan ji, Pankaj ji and VijayDas ji.

I will try to change "Azolla" into Selaginella if Ecoport permits me. They have intentionally banned me to make changes in my own contributions. I am raising voice through "Protest Against Ecoport" blog.

http://protest-against-ecoport-policy.blogspot.com/

Thanks again.

Pankaj Oudhia

Aparna Watve

Oct 18, 2009, 10:30:28 PM10/18/09
to Vijayadas D, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Sanjivani is name also given to Cheilanthus farinosa/ C.
albo-marginata in Maharashtra. And I have seen a Selaginella species
on sale in Pune market under same name. The term appears to be
commonly used for plants showing desiccation tolerance- (Poikilohydry)
especially of homoiochlorophyllous (=that retain chlorophyll as it is)
type. I haven't seen it used so far for poikilochlorophyllous (=that
retain chlorophyll is a changed nature and have to resynthesize after
moistening) species such as of Tripogon or Eragrostis spp.
I have special interest in this group in India, as they frequent rocky
habitats which I study, so if you all can list out species that you
know which show this character, it will add to my knowledge.
regards
aparna
--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

Aparna Watve

Oct 18, 2009, 10:36:09 PM10/18/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com, t.pu...@ecoport.org
Can anyone give me email of Dr. P.N. Khare working on this plant?
Thanks
Aparna

Vijayadas D

Oct 18, 2009, 11:18:52 PM10/18/09
to Aparna Watve, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear all,

It is a news to me that is , Ceilanthus farinosa known by the name sanjeevini .

>> Seoni.480661
tel: 07692-228115
mobile: (0)9755667710 and 9822597288 still works

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 19, 2009, 7:48:13 AM10/19/09
to Vijayadas D, Aparna Watve, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Aparna ji and vijayadas ji
I remember once seeing the photograph of Cheilanthes farinosa on the net labelled as Selaginella bryopteris. I then suggested the correction.