My Flora picture of 2008

ranjini kamath

Dec 18, 2008, 8:55:34 AM12/18/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I would like to send this as my Flora picture of the Year [this has
not been sent earlier on this forum].
Couroupita guianensis.Fam:Lecythidaceae. Place-Bangalore-taken 11th April 2008
Also revered as Shivalinga,Nagalinga.The stamens form a 'hood' over a
small depression beneath, in which there is a 'linga'.This tree grows
opposite my apartment & i'm sentimental about it because a friend & i
saved it from the axe.
The fruits look like cannonballs & are as lethal-only i have not come
across a single case of anyone being hit on the head [ that does not
mean anyone take a risk !]-surprisingly even when they dropped with
alarming frequency at the time the building in the adjoining compound
was being constructed & the roots were heavily damaged.The tree has
stabilised since.

Ranjini Kamath

Cannonball Tree Flowers.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 18, 2008, 11:03:38 AM12/18/08
to ranjini kamath, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Ranjini ji,
Certainly a novel cause to be cherished with!!!
It is such a wonderful tree particularly when in flower along with its religious significance. I realised its beauty when I felt its incense from quite a distance & captured images like attached picture- attaching to clarify Ranjini ji's point.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Naglingam (Couroupita guianensis) flower in Hyderabad, AP I IMG_6609.jpg

vinod kumar gupta

Dec 18, 2008, 11:54:32 AM12/18/08
to J.M. Garg, ranjini kamath, indian...@googlegroups.com
Lovely shot,Mr.Garg