Champa tree– competing with the coconut and arecanut palms.

raghu ananth

Sep 6, 2008, 3:31:55 AM9/6/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Champa – competing with the coconut and arecanut palms..

If we were playing ‘pick the odd man out’, then surely the right answer would be the champa tree. For competing with areca nut palms and coconut palms is this tall champa tree which seems to say, “Watch how I outgrow my mates here”. Notice how the branches and the leaves of the champa tree are found only in its crown.

(Notes: The Champa trees in this farm are considered - naturally grown and not a hybrid from the nurseries)

Michelia champaca
Magnoliaceae
Local Name: Sampige
Hindi: Champak

Location: Chandagal village, Mysore dist.
Date: Aug 31, 2008

Regards
Raghu / Sunita

ChampaTree.jpg
Champa-Trunk.jpg
Champa-Leaves.jpg
Champa-Crown.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 7, 2008, 7:46:42 AM9/7/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 7, 2008, 1:18:44 PM9/7/08
to J.M. Garg, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Raghu, I have saved all three photographs. I think it is the most fragrant flower found in India. If there is some other flower to beat it in fragrance, please let me know. A few years back I had planted a few of these in Bhubaneswar. I have been told that they have grown up and spreading their bouquet all around. Cheers!
akbhatt