[efloraofindia:32859] Id wild flower please

dimple bhati

Apr 21, 2010, 6:52:54 AM4/21/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Date/Time- March

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Rice fields & dried strems

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Herb

Height/Length- 20 to 30cm

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-Similar to mint

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-White

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-Tiny like Occimum

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- A very common weed in Month of March & April. Leaves looks little like Nepta Hindostana & the flower bracts like Salvia plebeia.

indiantreepix.jpg

Satish Chile

Apr 21, 2010, 7:42:04 AM4/21/10
to dimple bhati, indian...@googlegroups.com
Oscimum canum ???
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

Apr 21, 2010, 8:13:03 AM4/21/10
to Satish Chile, dimple bhati, indian...@googlegroups.com
I also think this is Ocimum canum !!
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 21, 2010, 8:36:46 AM4/21/10
to tanay bose, Satish Chile, dimple bhati, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ocimum canum is now correctly known as O. americanum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Apr 21, 2010, 8:38:03 AM4/21/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile, dimple bhati, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you sir for the updation
tanay

Satish Chile

Apr 21, 2010, 8:45:23 AM4/21/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, dimple bhati, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank u Gurcharan ji for the information
Satish

Tabish

Apr 21, 2010, 9:34:50 AM4/21/10
to efloraofindia
Ocimum americanum (syn: Ocimum canum) has stamens protruding out, and
the lower lip oblong, which is not seen in Dimple's picture. So, I
think this should be something else.
- Tabish

On Apr 21, 5:13 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also think this is *Ocimum canum* !!
> Tanay
>

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Satish Chile <chilesat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oscimum canum ???
> > Satish
>
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:52 AM, dimple bhati <whis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>  Date/Time-* *March
>
> >> Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Rice fields & dried strems
>
> >> Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Wild
>
> >> Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Herb
>
> >> Height/Length- 20 to 30cm
>
> >> Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-Similar to mint
>
> >> Inflorescence Type/ Size-
>
> >> Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-White
>
> >> Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-Tiny like Occimum
>
> >> Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- A very common
> >> weed in Month of March & April. Leaves looks little like Nepta Hindostana &
> >> the flower bracts like Salvia plebeia.
>
> >> --
>
> > --
> > Dr. Satish Kumar Chile
>
> > --
>
> --
> Tanay Bose
> +91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
> 9830439691(Mobile)
> 9674221362 (Mobile)

R. Vijayasankar

Apr 21, 2010, 11:31:47 AM4/21/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
This is certainly NOT Ocimum canum.
--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Balkar Arya

Apr 21, 2010, 3:09:27 PM4/21/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Tabish, efloraofindia
Dear All
A few more photos of the same plant
It is a very common weed during wheat crop
Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

Balkar Arya

Ritesh Choudhary

Apr 21, 2010, 9:08:03 PM4/21/10
to efloraofindia
Isnt it Anisomeles indica?

Ritesh.

On Apr 21, 7:52 pm, dimple bhati <whis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Date/Time-* *March
>
>  indiantreepix.jpg
> 143KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 21, 2010, 10:27:52 PM4/21/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
The plant is becoming interesting. The rugose leaves don't belong to any species of Ocimum known to me. Balkar ji, your plant definitely same, could you upload close up of flower for more critical observation?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Apr 21, 2010, 11:53:55 PM4/21/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Dear All,
Can this plant be Mentha royleana Benth. in Wall? This particular plant has a distribution from West Pakistan to NW India some parts of South Afghanistan, it is aweed with shows characters similar to this plant posted by Balkar Ji. Kindly validate.
Regards
TAnay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Apr 22, 2010, 1:18:10 AM4/22/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Dear Vijayasankar Ji,
In Nepeta cataria the leaves are perfectly cordate,size is quit large and the inflorescence is more robust, hopefully the flower size is also big as from that of the Balkar Ji's plant. All characters I told about N cataria is visible in the photo in your provided link...
Regards
Tanay..

Nayan Singh

Apr 22, 2010, 1:27:08 AM4/22/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
I think this plant is Salvia plebeia...........
thanks

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Apr 22, 2010, 1:32:54 AM4/22/10
to Nayan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Dungriyal Ji,
Salvia plebeia has a violet flowers !!!
Regards
Tanay

Nayan Singh

Apr 22, 2010, 1:41:18 AM4/22/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dear Tanay ji
the colour of flower is white or lilac as per a flora of Raipur Durg Rajnandgaon by (DM Verma) BSI
 Thansk

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Apr 22, 2010, 1:44:30 AM4/22/10
to Nayan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Nayan Ji,
thanks for updation !!
Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2010, 2:30:48 AM4/22/10
to tanay bose, Nayan Singh, efloraofindia
I think some friends must have heard of a genus name Actinotinus. It later turned out that this new genus because of an error where collector had inserted inflorescence of Viburnum in the vegetative twig of Aesculus. The enthusiastic author created the new genus. Obviously it was rejected when the mistake was detected.
    The plant under discussion matches clearly with Mentha royleana (or more common Mentha longifolia) as far as thick rugose crenate leaves are concerned, but the inflorescence matches so much with Salvia plebeia suggested by Nayan ji. The leaves of S. plebeia are much different. Let us concentrate on possible species of Salvia, because after all Lamiaceae taxonomy largely depends on flowers.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2010, 2:51:17 AM4/22/10
to tanay bose, Nayan Singh, efloraofindia
After looking at numerous photographs on the web I am finally convinced that Nayan ji is correct. It is indeed Salvia plebeia. Your comments please.

Satish Chile

Apr 22, 2010, 4:58:48 AM4/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Nayan Singh, efloraofindia
Salvia plebeia is correct Gurcharan ji. I'm attaching the photo I found in google.
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Salvia plebeia.JPG

Nayan Singh

Apr 22, 2010, 5:31:04 AM4/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan Sing ji
thanks for your great efforts
I am attaching some pic of the plant from Pench Tiger Reserve Seoni M.P.
I took these pics few year back when I was Field Director of that Park.

As per the Flora of Raipur, Durg & Rajnandgaon by D M Verma (BSI), the id key and description for Salvia plebeia is as following

Key -
    Calyx lobes 5, or less
        Calyx bilipped, upper lip entire, lower usually toothed
                Verticillasters, at least the lower, distantly placed, forming interrupted spikes or racemes.
                        Fertile stamens 2                ---- Salvia

                        Salvia plebeia R. Br. Prodr,
Annual herbs, ca 20 cm high. Leaves oblong - lanceolate, ovate, 2.5 - 7.5 cm long, crenate, sparsely hairy or glabrous. Flowers minute, in terminal often spicate racemes; bracts small, narrow; upper lip of the calyx entire, reflexed, lower lip obtusely 2 - toothed; corolla white or lilac, tube exserted, Nutlets ovoid, brown.

Found in sandy river beds

Flowering & fruiting - April - May

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Apr 22, 2010, 6:05:04 AM4/22/10
to Nayan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Nayan ji
Garg ji,  24 mails in 23 hours in the same the same thread to resolve an identity of a plant which did not appear easier. Great achievement for the group. It speaks for level of expertise of the members of this group. Congratulations to you and all members.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Chile

Apr 22, 2010, 6:41:35 AM4/22/10
to Nayan Singh, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Narayan Singh ji for the nice Photographs. Well, I like to inform you that at present I'm posted as a principal Govt. P.G. College, Seoni (M.P.). I'll definitely collect the plant Salvia plebeia from the same locality of Pench.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

Apr 22, 2010, 8:11:40 AM4/22/10
to Satish Chile, Nayan Singh, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Nayan Ji & Gurcharan ji,
Thank you very much for updating our knowledged I confused this plant with M longifolia . The photos later posted by Nayan Ji really and exactly the same plant as of Balkar Ji.
Regards
Tanay

Balkar Arya

Apr 22, 2010, 11:48:51 AM4/22/10
to tanay bose, Satish Chile, Nayan Singh, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear All
Today in College i discussed this plant with some Botanists friend and concluded that it is salvia. Now i confirmed it from Flora of Haryana also, it is indeed S plebia. Nayan Ji was very much correct.
Thank you all for solving this mystry

Regards
--
Dr Balkar Singh