ID110109phk

Pravin Kawale

Jan 11, 2009, 12:57:46 AM1/11/09

Jan 11, 2009, 1:08:05 AM1/11/09

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

--- On Sun, 1/11/09, Pravin Kawale <kawale...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yazdy Palia

Jan 11, 2009, 1:20:16 AM1/11/09
to Pravin Kawale, indiantreepix
Dear Pravin,
How big is the fruit/pod. The leaves, bark and pod(if it is a pod)
reminds me of Mohogany.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

J.M. Garg

Jan 11, 2009, 8:52:03 AM1/11/09
to Yazdy Palia, Pravin Kawale, indiantreepix
Hi, Yazdy,
It's the fruit of Swietenia macrophylla & not the pod.
Details from Indiantreepix Database:

Pravin Kawale

Jan 11, 2009, 9:26:40 AM1/11/09
to indiantreepix
Hi,
Thanks a lot.

--
Pravin

Yazdy Palia

Jan 11, 2009, 12:37:04 PM1/11/09
to J.M. Garg, Pravin Kawale, indiantreepix
Dear Mr. J.M. Gargji,
Thank you so much for the information. I have a Mahogany tree with a
slight different shape of leaves. It bears what appears like the
fruit. The diameter of the fruit is around 4% and. When it dries up
you see cracks appearing on the fruit. When you observe closely, you
notice that it is not a fruit but a clump of seeds held so tightly
that it appears like a fruit. After a few days on a windy day, the
whole thing bursts and sends winged seeds spiraling long distances.
When the wind stops you see the individual seed spiraling to earth.
When this happens only the stem is left behind.
The tree is a sight just before the leaves are shed. All the leaves
turn almost red and then one day you see the tree bare. Then slowly
you see new leaves forming and the tree is green once again. I live
close to nature and enjoy some of these wonderful sites but am no
expert. Thanks once again.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> Creating Awareness about Indian Flora &
> Fauna:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1

J.M. Garg

Jan 11, 2009, 1:11:09 PM1/11/09
to Yazdy Palia, Pravin Kawale, indiantreepix
Hi, Yazdy,
Your remarks "The diameter of the fruit is around 4% and" is not clear.
There is another species of Mahogany called Swietenia mahagoni with smaller leaves & fruit. See details from Indiantreepix Database:
Swietenia mahagoni  Meliaceae Spanish/ West Indian Mahogany, Small-leaved/ Jamaican/ Cuban Mahogany, Madeira Redwood Flowering 23March 2007 in Pune, Maharashtra- Satish ji. Flowering now (March) in Pune city Maharashtra- 25/3/08- Satish ji. I saw it (Swietenia mahogani) flower in Kolkata on 30/3/08- J.M.GARG. Flowering observed in Pune- March last fortnight- Satish ji. Swietenia mahagoni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Khaya senegalensis and Swietenia mahogani - indiantreepix | Google Groups Swietenia mahagoni, Mahogany http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/SWIMAHA.pdf Swietenia mahagoni - indiantreepix | Google Groups Tree for Id - indiantreepix | Google Groups

Yazdy Palia

Jan 12, 2009, 12:49:26 AM1/12/09
to J.M. Garg, Pravin Kawale, indiantreepix
Dear Mr. Pravin,
Thank you once again for correcting me. It should read 4". You people
are really educating a lot of people like me.
regards
Yazdy Palia.