Cestrum nocturnum

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 27, 2008, 9:35:04 AM9/27/08
to indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Anand Kumar Bhatt
Raat ki rani, during daytime and during night-time in bloom.
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Bhind Road

J.M. Garg

Sep 27, 2008, 10:05:13 AM9/27/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt
Some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cestrum_nocturnum

Cestrum nocturnum (Raat Ki Rani) is a species of Cestrum, native to Mexico, Central America, India and Cuba[citation needed]. Common names include Night-blooming Cestrum, Lady of the Night, Queen of the Night, Night-blooming jessamine, and Night-blooming Jasmine. Also known as Raat ki Rani (Queen of the night), in Urdu and Hindi.

It is an evergreen woody shrub growing to 4 metres (13 ft) tall. The leaves are simple, narrow lanceolate, 6-20 cm (2-8 in) long and 2-4.5 cm broad, smooth and glossy, with an entire margin. The flowers are greenish-white, with a slender tubular corolla 2-2.5 cm (1 in) long with five acute lobes, 10-13 mm diameter when open at night; they are produced in cymose inflorescences, and are strongly scented. The scent is released at night. The fruit is a poisonous white berry. There is also a variety with yellowish flowers.

Cestrum nocturnum also known as Night Blooming Jasmine, is grown in subtropical regions as an ornamental plant for its strongly-scented flowers. It grows best in average to moist soil that is light and sandy, with a neutral pH of 6.6 to 7.5, and is hardy to hardiness zone 8. Feed bi-weekly with a weak dilution of seaweed and fish emulsion fertilizer.

All parts of the plant are highly poisonous.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 27, 2008, 10:20:45 AM9/27/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

sibda...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2008, 11:12:52 AM9/27/08
to indiantreepix
In Bengali it is known as Hasnu Hana. Its strong odour may cause
headache. It is believed the scent attracts snakes- but I have nor
witnessed. Do the flowers bloom at night or they give out scent only
at night time ?

On Sep 27, 7:05 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cestrum_nocturnum
>
> *Cestrum nocturnum* (Raat Ki Rani) is a species of
> *Cestrum<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cestrum>
> *, native to Mexico <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico>, Central
> America<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America>,
> India <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India> and
> Cuba<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba>
> [*citation needed <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>*].
> Common names include *Night-blooming Cestrum*, *Lady of the Night*, *Queen
> of the Night*, *Night-blooming jessamine*, and *Night-blooming Jasmine*.
> Also known as *Raat ki Rani* (Queen of the night), in
> Urdu<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urdu>and
> Hindi <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi>.
>
> It is an evergreen <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen> woody
> shrub<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrub>growing to 4 metres (13 ft)
> tall. The
> leaves <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf> are simple, narrow lanceolate,
> 6-20 cm (2-8 in) long and 2-4.5 cm broad, smooth and glossy, with an entire
> margin. The flowers <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower> are
> greenish-white, with a slender tubular
> corolla<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corolla_(flower)>2-2.5 cm (1 in)
> long with five acute lobes, 10-13 mm diameter when open at
> night; they are produced in cymose <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyme>
> inflorescences <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflorescence>, and are
> strongly scented. The scent is released at night. The
> fruit<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit>is a poisonous white
> berry <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry>. There is also a variety with
> yellowish flowers.
>
> *Cestrum nocturnum* also known as Night Blooming Jasmine, is grown in
> subtropical regions as an ornamental
> plant<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornamental_plant>for its
> strongly-scented flowers. It grows best in average to moist soil
> that is light and sandy, with a neutral pH of 6.6 to 7.5, and is hardy
> to hardiness
> zone <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardiness_zone> 8. Feed bi-weekly with a
> weak dilution of seaweed and fish emulsion fertilizer.
>
> All parts of the plant are highly poisonous<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison>
> .

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 27, 2008, 3:13:54 PM9/27/08
to sibda...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Yes Sibdasji! It blooms and give fragrance only during night. In the three photographs that I have attached, first is of daytime, which is buds, and the other two are of night when the flowers have bloomed.
Best wishes,
akbhatt