For ID:090110AK1

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 9, 2010, 6:59:45 AM1/9/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This picture was taken at Bryant's Park, Kodaokanal on the 24th of October,08.
Is it Golden St John's Wort?

If you could kindly confirm identification.
Regards,
Aarti Khale

You have been sent 1 picture.

At Bryant's Park,Kodai-DSCN6809 24-Oct-08 1-02-44 PM.JPG

At Bryant's Park,Kodai-DSCN6809 24-Oct-08 1-02-44 PM.JPG

J.M. Garg

Feb 23, 2010, 12:24:40 AM2/23/10
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

At Bryant's Park,Kodai-DSCN6809 24-Oct-08 1-02-44 PM.JPG

Parjanya guru

Feb 23, 2010, 12:54:06 AM2/23/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
A chance for  Hypericum...?

J.M. Garg

Mar 13, 2010, 3:25:32 AM3/13/10
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Earlier relevant feedback:

A chance for  Hypericum...?” from Parjanya ji.

Mar 13, 2010, 5:54:56 AM3/13/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear all,
I hope the plant in the attached photo is Hypericum choisianum.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 13, 2010, 8:06:29 AM3/13/10
to tanay bose, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear Tanay
You seem to have identified the plant. To make it confirmed I request you to go through the note in eflora of Pakistan:

and this photograph on the web

I feel first the sepals in our plant are rounded at apex and broader, and stem seems to be without 4-lines. Could it be H. hookerianum?. I think it is worth researching.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Mar 13, 2010, 9:44:40 AM3/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear Gurcharan ji,
From the eflora of Pakistan it seems that Hypericum hookeranum and Hypericum oblongifolium is synonym of Hypericum choisianum. I hope I am right hence all the name indicate a single plant. It has also written that the older stems are terate and are devoid of 4-lines. I think the photo shows an old stem of the plant because of the leaves size, internode size, nodal size and also because it's bearing flower (reproductive organ). Please confirm about your responses to me kindly.
Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 13, 2010, 11:26:29 AM3/13/10
to tanay bose, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear Tanay
Hypericum hookerianum wight & Arnott, 1834 can't be synonym of H. choisianum, for the simple fact that when Robson validated H. choisianum in 1973 (Flora Pakistan), he gave differentiating features and latin diagnosis separating it from H. hookerianum. These two as distinct species are both described in Flora of China, authored by Robson himself, H. hookerianum occurs in Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, NE India and more importantly South India, and H. choisianum occurring in Bengal, Sikkim, Nepal, Myanmar, Nepal and Pakistan.  So on that count also Kodaikanal Plant should be. H. hookerianum.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Mar 13, 2010, 11:32:18 AM3/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear Gurcharan Ji,
I understood your explanation . Is H hookerianum and H hookeranum are different plants or a typing error?
Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 13, 2010, 11:40:15 AM3/13/10
to tanay bose, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear Tanay
They are orthographic variants, as are H. choisianum (Fl. Pakistan) and H. choisyanum (Fl. China). I hope you remember nomenclature story of Tomato.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Mar 13, 2010, 1:44:01 PM3/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear Gurcharan ji,
How did you came know that I know the tomato story about the orthographic change from Lycopersicum lycopersicum (Karsten 1882)  to Lycopersicon lycopersicum (Nicolson 1974). I am amazed by your speculative ideas !!
If H hookerianum and H hookeranum are only orthographic error then I will like say that in the link you have sent me of eflora of Pakistan it's written there Hypericum hookeranum var. leschenaultii sensu Dyer and Hypericum oblongifolium sensu Wall are synonyms of Hypericum choisianum Wall.Please see from the same link you provided me for handy measures I have added it below. How can it be possible Sir the matter is getting hazy for me. Hope you will kindly help me and provide me guidabce to understand the matter.

Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 14, 2010, 12:41:42 AM3/14/10
to tanay bose, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Tanay now you are trying to confuse me. Let me put this way. hookeranum and hookerianum are orothographic variants, so let us say same, although hookerianum should be considered as grammatical correct and used preferably. For a moment forget about these spelling differences. Now please note that Hypericum leschenaultii Choisy (described in 1824) is an Indonesian species with which Dyer in FBI (1874) also identified some Indian specimens and he also provided a new combination H. hookeranum var. leschenaultii (Choisy) Dyer. As it turns out now Indian specimens are different from Indonesian plant. For this Indian plant Wall had suggested name H. choisianum which Robson validated in 1974 in Flora Pakistan (hence Wall. ex Robson). This also means that H. hookeranum var. leschenaultii sensu Dyer (and not H. hookerianum (or hookeranum)  Wt. & Arnott. (please note that if there are more than one varieties within this species, then this type hookerianum would be correctly called H. hookerianum Wt. & Arnott. var. hookerianum (autonym so no author) , not even H. leschenaultii Choisy) is the synonym of H. choisianum Wall. ex Robson (or more correctly choisyanum as per Flora China- as Choisy is correct spelling).
    Similarly, please note that H. oblongifolium Choisy is a distinct species, which Wallich gave identification for some Indian plants now correctly identified as H. choisianum. So again H. oblongifolium sensu Wall. and not H. oblongifolium Choisy is synonym of H. choisianum.
              Differentiating features of species are given by Robson in Fl. Pakistan

    I hope I have made things clear.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Mithilesh K. Pathak

Mar 14, 2010, 1:30:18 AM3/14/10
to efloraofindia
Hypericum sp.

On Feb 23, 10:24 am, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise pl.

tanay bose

Mar 14, 2010, 3:05:58 AM3/14/10
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear gurcharan ji,
Now the matter is completely clear for me thank you for helping me and clearing my doubts.
Regards
tanay