Abutilon indicum fruit - Is id coorrect?

shubhada nikharge

Mar 27, 2010, 3:01:17 AM3/27/10
to indian tree pix
Hi,
i have posted the pics of fruits and a plant of Abutilon indicum. pl confirm the id.
The pics were taken in Malcom Baug, Jogeshwari, Mumbai in the last week of March 2010.
Common name : country mallow
Local Marathi name : पेटारी
family :Malvaceae

Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Abutilon indicum fruit country mallow पेटारी Malvaceae 0322_2010_Malcom Baug 057 e.jpg
Abutilon indicum fruit Country mallow पेटारी Malvaceae 0322_2010_Malcom Baug 069 e.jpg
Abutilon indicum plant country mallow पेटारी 0322_2010_Malvaceae Malcom Baug 062 e.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2010, 3:19:54 AM3/27/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
... me too believing it to be A. indicum.(syn. Sida indica)

commonly known as: Chinese bell-flowers, common evening mallow, country mallow, flowering maples, Indian abutilon • Bengali: পোটারী potari • Gujarati: કાંસકી kaansaki • Hindi: अतिबल atibal, कंघी kanghi • Kannada: ತುಥ್ಥಿ ಗಿಡ tuththi gida • Konkani: पेटारी petari • Malayalam: വെള്ളൂരം velluram • Marathi: कंगा kanga, कासली kasali, मुद्रा mudra, पेटारी petari • Oriya: biley phulo • Punjabi: ਪਤਾਕਾ pataka • Sanskrit: अतिबल atibala, कङ्कटिका kankatikaa, ऋष्यप्रोक्ता rishyaproktaa • Tamil: பெருந்துத்தி peru-n-tutti • Telugu: నూగుబెండ nugubenda, తుతిరిబెండ tuteribenda

my observation:
1) the common name petari in Marathi (पेटारी) of this herbaceous shrub is shared by another medium-sized tree, the false white teak -- Mallotus nudiflorus (syn. Trewia nudiflora) ... not sure of the reason.
2) the leaves of this mallow plant has a some kind of similarity to that of the false white teak's sapling -- at least with regards to shape, the margin to some extent, the velvety-pubescent texture.

Regards.

shubhada nikharge

Mar 27, 2010, 3:25:02 AM3/27/10
to Parjanya guru, indian tree pix
Hi Parjanya ji,
thanx for ur kind words.
i am sorry. i do not have any other photos. there was only one plant and one fruit fully opened. i saw these fruits first time.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Mar 27, 2010, 3:28:15 AM3/27/10
to Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
.. The word "pethari" means a "small ornamented wooden box"- both in KonkaNi and kaanada language of coastal Karnataka....
.. Any resemble with the fruit..?
Please verify.. :)

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2010, 3:42:11 AM3/27/10
to Parjanya guru, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Yes ... me too thinking on the same lines, Parjanya ji.
In case of M. nudiflorus, the fruit seems to be a hard-cased drupe ... and in A. indicum, no doubt, the radiating carpels do look artistic.
... both cases manage to raise our curiosity about what is within.

Regards.

Parjanya guru

Mar 27, 2010, 3:46:50 AM3/27/10
to Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
... Fruit is the signature of these plants then !

Satish Phadke

Mar 27, 2010, 8:10:25 AM3/27/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Yes indeed. Abutilon indicum
Dr Phadke

Vasant Barve

Mar 27, 2010, 8:15:05 AM3/27/10
to Parjanya guru, Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
The flower is yellow

Its sister in Gardens is hollihox

Vasant Barve
=====================
(*    I have posted Three Jug puzzle & some  interesting  Puzzles  on  my blog  http://virtuallab.in/blog/      **)

Dr. Vasant Barve
# 5 Dhanalaxmi Apartments,
Shivagiri Colony, Gangapur Road,
Nashik 422 005 (India)
Phone 0253 234 2563 (R), 94227 30724 (M)

shubhada nikharge

Mar 28, 2010, 1:34:31 AM3/28/10
to Satish Phadke, vasan...@gmail.com, indian tree pix
Satish ji and Vijay ji,
thanx very much. can u put up a pic of a flower?

Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Mar 28, 2010, 1:53:50 AM3/28/10
to Parjanya guru, Dinesh Valke, indian tree pix
Parjanya ji,
to me it looks like an ornament box with many chambers within. i think
'पेटारी' is an appropriate name.

Dear Dinesh,
Thanx for all the info.
Can u put up the pics of
Mallotus nudiflorus?
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Mar 28, 2010, 3:24:58 AM3/28/10
to shubhada nikharge, Parjanya guru, Dinesh Valke, indian tree pix
I had posted the picture on 28/07/2008
Attaching again
Dr Phadke
Abutilon indicum5.jpg