... etymology of epithet mungo

Dinesh Valke

Jun 5, 2010, 6:01:05 AM6/5/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends, ... is the epithet mungo commemorative for the Scottish explorer of the African continent, Mungo Park (1771 – 1806) ?
... if so, what were the regional (native) names of mung called earlier to coining the epithet.

This query is related to post at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/894d590aec08192c?hl=en

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 5, 2010, 6:33:56 AM6/5/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
You have bowled me out by suggesting the name of Mungo Park.
I thought it is Indian name. The plant is of Indian origin and cultivated here for a long time.
The answer to this question may be found in another question, has Linnaeus named some species after an author/person? and if yes names of such species.
A big question mark? Linnaeus names his species in 1767, when Mungo Park was not born.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Jun 5, 2010, 8:34:48 AM6/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
... was precisely the response sought Gurcharan ji.
Many thanks for providing the clarity regarding the time when the species was named.

First place of visit for meaning and pronunciation of botanical names is Dave's botanary.
At http://davesgarden.com/guides/botanary/search.php?search_text=mungo&Search.x=0&Search.y=0 the meaning for mungo is:
... Possibly named for 18th century Scottish explorer and plant collector, Mungo Park
Their doubt is genuine because they may not be knowing that the epithet is derived from the vernacular name of the plant.

Second, got a book by S P Dixit (Divisinal Forest Officer) called Scientific Names of Plants Explained.
That too carries the same doubt.

So, many thanks for clarifying thoughts.
Thus, it would be: MUN-go -- name derived from the Sanskrit name of the plant, मुद्ग (mudga)

Thus my query holds good:
... why was mung not named Vigna mungo ?
at ... http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/4405ff6402e20ebc?hl=en#

Many thanks once again, Gurcharan ji for resolving my query.

Regards.

Muthu Karthick

Jun 7, 2010, 2:13:47 AM6/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dineshji and Singhji,
Really your queries and responses are of immense knowledge. Thanks for sharing with us.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 6:30:28 PM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh Sir,

Mungo word came into use much before Linnaeus. It was Paul Hermann
(1646-1695) who initiated it. So most probably Mungo Park (1771 –
1806) is not the correct person on which the name is based or most
probably the name is not based on his nae at all. Paul Hermann worked
in Sri Lanka and many of his herbarium specimens were used by Linnaeus
in his Species Plantarum (1753) as well as Mantissa plantarum (1761).
The hindi word MOONG came first and later came the botanical name.

Secondly, Phaseolus radiata (now known as Vigna radiata) was named
earlier (1753) where as Phaseolus mungo (now known as Vigna mungo) was
named later in 1767 just because it looked like Mung though it was
not...

Even at some point in botanical history both were believed to be
same....Paseolus mungo var. mungo and P. mungo var. radiatus. Hope
this solves your confusion.

......its fun sometimes.....
To add to your confusion, you know Urad is often called black lentil,
but it is also called as white lentil, though it is black :)))) isnt
that funny....
Pankaj

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 11, 2010, 7:20:18 PM7/11/10
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Great explanation Pankaj ji. It shows you have done a good background work!

Regarding the English name, i think, black lentil is to denote the seeds with skin; and the skin out is white lentil. could it be?

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 7:23:50 PM7/11/10
to R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Hahahaha....I dont know....may be when you make a curry out of Black
Lentil, it turns white rather than black .....
I am laughing but I am serious....
Pankaj

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 11, 2010, 7:41:50 PM7/11/10
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
ha ha ha, if u ensure the skin is intact in your curry, it will remain black. Seriously!...;-)

we, in south, prefer/use only white lentil (skin out) to prepare foodstuff espl idly, dosa etc. even if some seeds have skin, we used to remove it after soaking in water, otherwise the dough will not look nice...and the idly also will have black spots. so white lentil is preferred for the purpose.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 7:50:25 PM7/11/10
to R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
you are talking abt homely food infront of a bachelor who hasnt been
home for past 4 years :(((......
Just kidding....!!!
You see, ultimately the curry can be white....
Pankaj

Rakesh Biswas

Jul 11, 2010, 10:27:39 PM7/11/10
to Pankaj Kumar, R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
:-)

interesting discussion.

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 11, 2010, 10:40:35 PM7/11/10
to Rakesh Biswas, Pankaj Kumar, R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Our children used to get confused shopping to differentiated between Sabut mah (mash; whole black gram), dalli mah (split black gram), and Dhuli mah (washed black gram, which is white in colour).

Vijayasankar ji, you seem to a culinary expert also.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 11, 2010, 10:58:24 PM7/11/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Rakesh Biswas, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
I think cooking is a great art, Gurcharan ji! I always like it (and of course eating too!). But most of time i will be assigned the job of cutting vegetable, as i used to take proper T.S. or L.S. in uniform thickness...like a 'macrotome'...

during lunch time in college/office we friends used to discuss/id the bot.names of all the ingredients of our meals....starting from Brassica juncea...Murraya koenigii...to all vegetables. Botanical lunch!

i think this thread is going tooooo looong...

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

335.png

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 12, 2010, 12:17:36 AM7/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Rakesh Biswas, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Vijayasankar ji
And imagine our examiner for Economic Botany brought Paan with him and gave it to us for identifying the ingredients. Imagine my plight who had never opened or tasted folded Paan leaf. Somehow, I managed from what I had read.
   Please don't be alarmed by the length of the thread. Firstly is being renewed after a gap of nearly more than a month, and secondly the length of the thread shows it is an interesting topic.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

335.png

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 12, 2010, 12:34:56 AM7/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Rakesh Biswas, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji, for sharing your (Paan) experiences. I know, there are so many ingredients and there exist a variety of paan's such as Saada, Special, Meetha etc.

[i can tell only few ingredients...Piper betel leaf, Areca catechu nut, Abrus precatorius leaves, Foeniculum vulgare fruits?, Rose petals/extract, Syzygium aromaticum flower buds, Cocos nucifera endosperm shrivals...and some preservatives...]
would anyone like to add...?

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

335.png

Ritesh Choudhary

Jul 12, 2010, 12:41:21 AM7/12/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Gurucharanji and Vijayji,

Pl add Acacia chundra (Kattha) from my side.

Regards,
Ritesh.

On Jul 12, 1:34 pm, "R. Vijayasankar" <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks Gurcharan ji, for sharing your (Paan) experiences. I know, there are
> so many ingredients and there exist a variety of paan's such as Saada,
> Special, Meetha etc.
>
> [i can tell only few ingredients...Piper betel leaf, Areca catechu nut,
> Abrus precatorius leaves, Foeniculum vulgare fruits?, Rose petals/extract,
> Syzygium aromaticum flower buds, Cocos nucifera endosperm shrivals...and
> some preservatives...]
> would anyone like to add...?
>
> With regards
>
> R. Vijayasankar
>
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Vijayasankar ji
> > And imagine our examiner for Economic Botany brought Paan with him and gave
> > it to us for identifying the ingredients. Imagine my plight who had never
> > opened or tasted folded Paan leaf. Somehow, I managed from what I had read.
> >    Please don't be alarmed by the length of the thread. Firstly is being
> > renewed after a gap of nearly more than a month, and secondly the length of
> > the thread shows it is an interesting topic.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> >   On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:28 AM, R. Vijayasankar <
> > vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I think cooking is a great art, Gurcharan ji! I always like it (and of
> >> course eating too!). But most of time i will be assigned the job of cutting
> >> vegetable, as i used to take proper T.S. or L.S. in uniform thickness...like
> >> a 'macrotome'...[?]
>
> >> during lunch time in college/office we friends used to discuss/id the
> >> bot.names of all the ingredients of our meals....starting from Brassica
> >> juncea...Murraya koenigii...to all vegetables. Botanical lunch!
>
> >> i think this thread is going tooooo looong...
>
> >> With regards
>
> >> R. Vijayasankar

>  335.png
> < 1KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 12, 2010, 12:43:15 AM7/12/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Ritesh, for adding 'spice' to the topic...

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Senthilkumar

Jul 12, 2010, 1:02:27 AM7/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Dear All
Nice flow of discussion. I like this.

Regards
Senthilkumar U.
--
Senthilkumar U.
BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 12, 2010, 2:21:15 AM7/12/10
to efloraofindia
Add Katri from my side and here is Meetha Paan for you all.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=43292

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 12, 2010, 2:28:15 AM7/12/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
A resolution!!!
Next time we have an outdoor party, Vijayasankar ji would be our Sanjeev Kapoor.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Inderjeet Sethi

Jul 12, 2010, 2:49:13 AM7/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
What is Katri? pls clarify
--
~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 12, 2010, 2:58:30 AM7/12/10
to efloraofindia
Please see yellow substance (many times red) in the picture. Katri is said to be prepared from immature Papita.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 3:09:34 AM7/12/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
see we have pan experts here too :p!! Ritesh didnt miss chundra :))))
I could reach till 681 post and it was 7am....lets see how long I can
reach today....but from 15th I am out for my field trip to
Pithoragarh.......Hope to find some good plants.....
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 12, 2010, 3:21:59 AM7/12/10
to efloraofindia
Amazed by your energy. I am following you from last 24 hours. At 4.30 AM today when you were interacting with Vijayashankar ji, I was online and uploading the Diabetes report. Still I am online without any break and you are posting with same energy. Amazing.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 3:25:34 AM7/12/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Sir, Actually, I was kind of tensed off by my usual work
yesterday....so I thought of learning some more from the
community.....then it started raining heavily with slight
thunderstorms. So I had to put my laptop to rest....
Pankaj