Tree's sporting the summer look #7 of 15 | idrequest 09Apr2010AR01

raghu ananth

Apr 9, 2010, 6:45:39 AM4/9/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Tree's sporting the summer look #7 of 15

Date/Time-27 Mar 2010, 11:06:48
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-Mamandur, Andhra Pradesh,
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Wild, Eastern ghats
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Tree
Height/Length-approx - 30 feet
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-  No Leaves observed
Inflorescence Type/ Size-As in the picture
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-< 1cm, White,
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-  No fruits observed

Regards
Raghu

DSC_0381a1.jpg
DSC_0380a1.jpg
DSC_0384a1.jpg
DSC_0383a1.jpg
DSC_0382a1.jpg
DSC_0381a.jpg
DSC_0387a.jpg

Parjanya guru

Apr 9, 2010, 7:00:09 AM4/9/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com

Any chance for Odina wodier Roxb. ?
.. A guess as I've seen them in deciduous and blooming condition  in Coastal Karnataka last week.

Muthu Karthick

Apr 9, 2010, 7:40:18 AM4/9/10
to Parjanya guru, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
Impossible for Odina wodifer; as the capsule shown differentiates.
From the dry fruit I could possibly arrive on Chloroxylon swietenia DC.

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Satish Chile

Apr 9, 2010, 7:53:46 AM4/9/10
to Muthu Karthick, Parjanya guru, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Muthu ji
Chloroxylon swietenia Rutaceae is correct. It is found in forest Seoni and Balaghat ditricts and I frequently watch it in morning walk.
Satish
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Muthu Karthick

Apr 9, 2010, 8:10:23 AM4/9/10
to Satish Chile, Parjanya guru, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com

Thank you much for the clarification sir.

Parjanya guru

Apr 9, 2010, 10:00:13 AM4/9/10
to Muthu Karthick, Satish Chile, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Muthu Karthick jee and Dr. Satish jee..
.. thank you both for the correct identification..
 Somewhere, a guess turns to bluff too.!!!.. And it did with me.!
raghu jee.. I apologise for it.!

Satish Phadke

Apr 9, 2010, 10:15:20 AM4/9/10
to raghu ananth, indiantreepix Indian
Raghu ji
I was not aware of the named  tree (Chloroxylon swietenia) until I could see one flowering in Botanical garden of Pune University about a fortnight back. I couldn't capture the flowers from close distance so didn't post them. Your pictures are just excellent...
From Maharashtra it is reported to be present in Vidarbha region I suppose.
Attaching my pictures from Pune.
Dr Phadke
Chloroxylon swieteniaDSCN5521.jpg
Chloroxylon swieteniaDSCN5523.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 9, 2010, 12:29:45 PM4/9/10
to Satish Phadke, raghu ananth, indiantreepix Indian
This plant was complete unknown to me, thanks to everyone for the identification and also for a loads of photographs
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Muthu Karthick

Apr 10, 2010, 3:25:29 AM4/10/10
to tanay bose, Satish Phadke, raghu ananth, indiantreepix Indian
As a Rutaceae member, this tree has the characteristic volatile oil glands; emanates pleasant smell while on crushing the leaves.
The tree is abundant in dry thorn forests in Eastern Ghats. Bigger sized trees also found in mixed dry deciduous forests.

Tamil name: Purasai; porsi maram
English name: Satin tree

tanay bose

Apr 10, 2010, 7:33:59 AM4/10/10
to Muthu Karthick, Satish Phadke, raghu ananth, indiantreepix Indian
Thank you Muthu For the extra information.
Tanay