Karanj (Pongamia pinnata)

Sadhna Sharma

May 3, 2009, 7:37:46 AM5/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Karanj or Pongamia pinnata  looking beautiful in fresh leaves and flower buds.

Best,
Sadhna Sharma
Pongamia pinnata (020509b).jpg
Pongamia pinnata (020509c).jpg
Pongamia pinnata (020509f).jpg

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2009, 9:19:57 AM5/3/09
to Sadhna Sharma, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good pictures, Sadhana ji.

Some extracts from Wikipedia link (for pictures/ more details, pl. click on the link): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pongamia_pinnata

Pongamia pinnata (Indian Beech Tree, Honge Tree, Pongam Tree, Milletia Pinnata) is a tree thought to have originated in India and is found throughout Asia. While it is commonly referred to as Pongmaia pinnata recent research has suggested that it should be reclassified to genus Millettia.

Pongamia pinnata is a deciduous legume tree that grows to about 15-25 meters in height with a large canopy which spreads equally wide. The leaves are a soft, shiny burgundy in early summer and mature to a glossy, deep green as the season progresses. Flowering starts in general after 3-4 years. Cropping of pods and single almond sized seeds can occur by 4-6 years. Small clusters of white, purple, and pink flowers blossom on their branches throughout the year, maturing into brown seed pods. The tree is well suited to intense heat and sunlight and its dense network of lateral roots and its thick, long taproot make it drought-tolerant. The dense shade it provides slows the evaporation of surface water and its root nodules promote nitrogen fixation, a symbiotic process by which gaseous nitrogen (N2) from the air is converted into NH4+ (a form of nitrogen available to the plant). Withstanding temperatures slightly below 0°C to 50°C and annual rainfall of 50–250 cm, the tree grows wild on sandy and rocky soils, including oolitic limestone, but will grow in most soil types, even with its roots in salt water.[1]

Known by many names (Panigrahi, Karanji , Calpa, and Ponge, among other) it is a tree that is well-adapted to arid zones and has many traditional uses. It is often used for landscaping purposes as a windbreak or for shade due to the large canopy and showy fragrant flowers. The bark can be used to make twine or rope and it also yields a black gum that has historically been used to treat wounds caused by poisonous fish. The flowers are used by gardeners as compost for plants requiring rich nutrients. Although all parts of the plant are toxic and will induce nausea and vomiting if eaten, the fruits and sprouts, along with the seeds, are used in many traditional remedies. Juices from the plant, as well as the oil, are antiseptic and resistant to pests. In addition the Pongamia tree has the rare property of producing seeds of 25-40% lipid content of which nearly half is Oleic acid.[2] The seed oil is an important asset of this tree having been used as lamp oil, in soap making, and as a lubricant for thousands of years.

The seed oil has been found to be useful in diesel generators and, along with Jatropha, it is being explored in hundreds of projects throughout India and the third world as feedstock for biodiesel.

2009/5/3 Sadhna Sharma <sadh...@gmail.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Pankaj Oudhia

May 3, 2009, 9:40:38 AM5/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 3, 2009, 11:50:56 AM5/3/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
A point to be stressed here is that it is not BROWSABLE, and therefore suitable for roadside and hpusing colony plantations.
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Pankaj Oudhia

May 3, 2009, 2:50:58 PM5/3/09
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is planted along with roadside.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=53193

It performs well in lateritic soils also

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=68754

Related Article

Thats why your Biodiesel tree is not performing well.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=earticleView&earticleId=3118&page=-2

Pankaj Oudhia

http://knol.google.com/k/pankaj-oudhia/pankaj-oudhia/3nerdtj3s9l79/1#

Madhuri Pejaver

May 4, 2009, 8:26:58 AM5/4/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Sadhna Sharma

r you sure ? because karanj name has come with shape of fruit which is like a karanji--type of sweet which maharastrians eat. it is curved on one side convex and other side convex, which gives the appearance of boat.
the fruits in the picture donot appear so, though backside seen. similarly they are swollen. flowers not clearly visible
madhuri

> pinnata  looking beautiful in fresh leaves
> and flower buds.
>
> Much better images by Vinod ji and Satish ji at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/99bf7dcc9ba45bd3
>

> Best,
> Sadhna Sharma

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter http://beta.cricket.yahoo.com

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2009, 10:00:26 AM5/4/09
to Madhuri Pejaver, indian...@googlegroups.com, Sadhna Sharma
Hi, Madhuri ji.
There are no fruits in the picture, only the flower buds.

Sadhna Sharma

May 4, 2009, 12:55:03 PM5/4/09
to J.M. Garg, Madhuri Pejaver, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mathuri ji and Garg ji,

In this pic, fruits are also visible, could be of last season.

Best,
Sadhna Sharma

Pongamia pinnata (020509a).jpg

formp...@yahoo.com

May 4, 2009, 2:20:14 PM5/4/09
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com, Sadhna Sharma
If so sorry sir. The last photo I felt was o f fruit.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: "J.M. Garg"
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 19:30:26 +0530
To: Madhuri Pejaver<formp...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [indiantreepix:11595] Re: Karanj (Pongamia pinnata)

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 5, 2009, 6:02:57 AM5/5/09
to formp...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com, Sadhna Sharma
The extract quoted by mr Garg says:
' Although all parts of the plant are toxic and will induce nausea and vomiting if eaten, the fruits and sprouts, along with the seeds, are used in many traditional remedies. Juices from the plant, as well as the oil, are antiseptic and resistant to pests.
akbhat