SK 3703 15 March 2023

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 15, 2023, 4:18:22 AM3/15/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty
Dear Members,

Location: Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Date: 11 March 2023
Altitude: 2418m.
Habitat : Wild
Lauraceae ??

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju
DSC02752.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 15, 2023, 4:18:39 AM3/15/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC02753.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 15, 2023, 4:18:47 AM3/15/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC02754.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 15, 2023, 4:19:06 AM3/15/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty
DSC02755.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 15, 2023, 4:19:11 AM3/15/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty
DSC02756.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 15, 2023, 4:19:23 AM3/15/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty
DSC02757.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 17, 2023, 2:23:48 AM3/17/23
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Yes, appears to be from lauraceae.
Can it be some Actinodaphne species.
I tried as per the Checklist of Nepal, but could not find any match.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 17, 2023, 2:42:30 AM3/17/23
to J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia

Tapas Chakrabarty

Mar 17, 2023, 3:01:42 AM3/17/23
to Saroj Kasaju, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
The whorled leaves and the terminal perulate buds indeed point to Actinodaphne. However, in my opinion, A. reticulata is best treated as a rare endemic confined to the Khasi hills in Meghalaya. I think the present images should be compared with A. sikkimensis.

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 17, 2023, 3:19:30 AM3/17/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Dear Tapas Da !
A. sikkimensis is not yet recorded from Kathmandu Valley, however, A. reticulata is recorded in
many localities in the valley and particularly. Phulchoki !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Tapas Chakrabarty

Mar 17, 2023, 3:30:41 AM3/17/23
to Saroj Kasaju, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Saroj da,
Would you please read our publication on Actinodaphne and point out where we erred?

Sincere regards,
Tapas

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 17, 2023, 3:33:39 AM3/17/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
OK Tapas Da!
I am not Da but a junior😉!
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 17, 2023, 3:43:35 AM3/17/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yes, it mentioned Phulchoki also. However, the tree had fallen and I am not sure If I can
find another tree to follow up for the flowering and fruiting !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Tapas Chakrabarty

Mar 17, 2023, 3:48:17 AM3/17/23
to Saroj Kasaju, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
We, Bengali people call everyone as "da" as a token of our affection, irrespective of age ( junior and senior).
Please find attached the paper. Though published in a "substandard journal" several problems in Actinodaphne in our area have been solved here.
I am particularly interested to know what you call as A. reticulata and how does it match with the typical form confined to the Khasi hills. Your answer will be helpful in knowing the species better.
Regards,
Tapas
800-1915-1-PB (1).pdf

J.M. Garg

Mar 20, 2023, 7:10:33 AM3/20/23
to Saroj Kasaju, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia
I also feel more close to Actinodaphne reticulata Meisn. as per GBIF specimens (one, two, three).
Looks different from Actinodaphne sikkimensis Meisn. as per efi page and GBIF specimens.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 20, 2023, 7:32:22 AM3/20/23
to J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia

Thank you Mr. Garg !

Saroj Kasaju

Tapas Chakrabarty

Mar 20, 2023, 8:05:53 AM3/20/23
to Saroj Kasaju, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I beg to differ. I think the samples posted by Saroj ji should belong to Actinodaphne longipes Kosterm. which is possibly unrecorded for Nepal. Anyway, for fomally reporting the occurrence of the species  from Nepal, we need flowering or fruiting material and herbarium specimens.

Regards,
Tapas

J.M. Garg

Mar 20, 2023, 8:12:36 AM3/20/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
Thanks, Tapas ji.
There is only one specimen of this in GBIF and it looks different to me.
Actinodaphne reticulata Meisn. has been reported in the Checklist of Nepal.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Mar 20, 2023, 10:31:15 AM3/20/23
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
Garg ji,
Such a report could be based on misidentification only. Without flowers or fruits we can distinguish A. reticulata, identifiable by the prominent minor venation of leaves on both surfaces of leaves. But here we can see obscure minor venation of the leaves, characteristic of A. longipes. Moreover, true A. reticulata is confined to the Khasi hills and reports outside Meghalaya might be misidentifications, in my opinion.
The situation can be clarified decisively only when the flowers and fruits are made available.

With regards,
Tapas

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 20, 2023, 10:38:33 AM3/20/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
OK Tapas Da! I shall  try for the flowers, however the tree was cut down .

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Mar 20, 2023, 12:11:46 PM3/20/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot, Tapas ji
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2023, 12:43:18 AM3/23/23
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
I will keep it as A. longipes for the time being, as suggested by Tapas ji.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg