Feeding frenzy - Honey bees on Bauhinia racemosa flowers

raghu ananth

Mar 23, 2010, 3:39:29 AM3/23/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Feeding frenzy - Honey bees on Bauhinia racemosa flowers

Social bees,
 in dozens,
 buzz around the flowers of this bauhinia racemosa tree (?). Its late evening, they still appear to be very busy feeding on the nectar of the flowers. Wonder, if they are taking  back the nectar to their bee-hive or celebrating a hangover party...

Botanical name: Bauhinia racemosa
Family: Caesalpiniaceae

Banerghatta forests, Bangalore
25 -03-2009

Regards
Raghu

DSC_8906a.jpg
DSC_8896a1.jpg
DSC_8907a.jpg
DSC_8899a.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 23, 2010, 4:03:59 AM3/23/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Great capture Rajhu Ji....... I enjoyed the photos a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Pardeshi S.

Mar 24, 2010, 12:52:14 AM3/24/10
to efloraofindia
can any body comment of this behavior of the honey bees. i believe B.
racemosa flowers opens in the evening, hence the bees are busy in the
act of collecting honey and pollen!!!!!!!!! or otherwise........

On Mar 23, 1:03 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great capture Rajhu Ji....... I enjoyed the photos a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Tanay
>

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >   *

> > Feeding frenzy - Honey bees on Bauhinia racemosa flowers
>
> > Social bees,
> >   in dozens,
> >  buzz around the flowers of this bauhinia racemosa tree (?). Its late
> > evening, they still appear to be very busy feeding on the nectar of the
> > flowers. Wonder, if they are taking  back the nectar to their bee-hive or
> > celebrating a hangover party...
>
> >  Botanical name: Bauhinia racemosa
> >  Family: Caesalpiniaceae
>
> >  Banerghatta forests, Bangalore
> >  25 -03-2009
>
> >   Regards
> >  Raghu

> > *

Yazdy Palia

Mar 24, 2010, 1:41:44 PM3/24/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Hello friends,
The only time the bees get so entangled is when the queen bee has come
out and has perched itself somewhere. I have never seen the bees
climbing one over the other to collect nectar. I have observed honey
bees from close quarter. I have quite a few of them. However the bees
in the picture are the large bees normally on large trees or on top of
tall buildings.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.